Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

Post subject: Laptop screen boards
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:05 am 

Is it worth taking them out? I have a cahnce to get about 300 laptops and since I have never scrapped many of them looking for some advice to get as much value with least amount of work.

Post subject: Re: Laptop screen boards
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

You have choices.
Laptop screens are the easiest to resell to dedicated buyers after cell phone screens; as long as they are not cracked. Look up something like we buy screens or the like on bing or Google. Just pull the screen out of the case and remove the power and digitiser units.
You can dissect the laptop and keep the entire screen whole. Easy flip on eBay for $5+.
If you dissect the laptop screen 99% of screen boards go as peripheral. But you’re left with the silver and nitrogen laminate sheets which are illegal to throw out and while they sell well, require bulk to do so. 300? You may have enough weight. Do your research first. You’re looking for a recycler who buys x-ray films and photography waste. Not as expensive as they used to be but still fetch $20 or so per pound. That still leaves you with the bare glass screens though which you’d need to sell on eBay or such, (they sell, but very slowly) or recycle on your own.
You could always pull out the drives (a must) and then sell the laptops whole as condition unknown. Depending on the specs they start around $10 and head way up. Boardsort buys hard drives whole, or every individual part. So that’s not an issue. Just remember selling dead stuff (or untested) you will always come across a few deadbeat buyers who will do a chargeback that you’ll loose. So factor that in to the values.

What should you do? I can’t tell you. Every person is different. My suggestion is to dissect one and time it. Then weigh it all up and multiply it by 300. If the value is worth the time then do it. If not, sell them whole. To boardsort or elsewhere

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:11 am 

Thanks for the reply Los. I decided to get them and I'm going to disassemble this winter. The mother boards will make it worth it alone. I just hope most them will have the ram still in them. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:39 pm 

Clarification on the price of a complete laptop sold to Boardsort: is the $1.30 per pound or a flat $1.30 per laptop?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

You know, I’m not sure. Lol.
I never sent whole anything besides cell phones which are by the pound. I’ll have to ask.

However the note at the top of the payout page does say per pound.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:15 am 

My laptop is wet so what can I do for it can anyone tell me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Unscrew the bottom and remove it. Take off the keyboard
Let it dry. Say prayers to whatever higher power you believe in.
After 6-12 hours out it back together

See my reply to your other post for drive recovery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:16 pm 

Thanks for the note on the laptop price. I had sold some more modern ones once that only weighed five pounds or so, but recently acquired a couple of heavy duty field grade laptops which weigh ten or more pounds each. I don't see that the boards and electronics would be worth that much more, and my reasoning is that with the total laptop weight more than doubled, it would be a losing proposition to pay the same per pound (for Boardsort).