Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

Post subject: Ipad’s
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:04 pm 

Here is another online auction I am looking at.
Not knowing the first thing about an Ipad. I searched the forums and seen where the main board “was” Telco and there was a small board that would go cell class. Does that still hold true?
Any ideas what the scrap value of these two lots would be?

Lot 1: 47 Ipad 4’s / 96 Ipad 3’s / 8 Ipad 2’s
Lot 2: 48 Ipad 4’s / 97 Ipad 3’s / 15 Ipad 2’s

Post subject: Re: Ipad’s
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Principal boards inside the various iPads would go as high telco at this time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:10 am 

Note to future posters: don't decide to leave the thread you are writing to confirm a price before you have finished the post. It disappears.

rdw1121, since you don't have an I Pad to strip to weigh the boards, lets do a little mental stripping game that might be close. Suppose you are at an auction, and a lot comes up with oh, lets say, 48 Ipad 4, 97 Ipad 3, 15 Ipad 2. You don't know anything about them except Boardsort buys them, or the boards in them. Should you bid? How much should you pay, and how much return should you expect. Right now, all you know is there are about 160 units. So lets play a little guessing game. A guess too high in one place will counterbalance a guess too low in another spot, so everything will eventually even out and your final figure should be close to actual results using exact quantities.
There is a mixed lot of 160 units, which we guess weighs 1.5 pounds each (actually checked this...just slightly under one and a half pounds) So, weight wise, there is 240 pounds. Across the shred/tin scales at your local yard, that would only be $9.60, , or about six cents per unit, so not worth the trouble of bidding. (Actually, your yard probably would refuse them as glass and plastic instead of metal, unless thrown in a few at a time in mixed loads of scrap appliances, etc.)'
However, you know that Boardsort buys both whole units now, as well as the boards, so lets do those figures. 240 pounds at 25 cents per pound nets you about 38 cents per unit, or $60 bucks for the whole lot, as is, not broken down. Now you can afford to pay a little, if you don't have high shipping or delivery expenses. (My method is to save the mid and low grade boards, power supplies until I am delivering a decent load of good boards ($1,000 or more) then haul the low payng items in, as they will basically cover my travel expenses)
But since shipping a pallet that is only going to return $60 is probably not feasible so lets mentally strip the units, at least of the main boards. '
I have never stripped an Ipad, but from the pictures, it looks like it would only weigh a few ounces. My rough guess is that it would take about 12 to make a pound, but I really want this lot, so I am going to lie to myself and claim only 8 boards are needed to make a pound. 8 boards to make a pound, you have 160 pounds, so 160 divided by 8 boards equals 20 pounds. Twenty pounds times $4.00 per pound equals $80 dollars....or about 50 cents per unit. Now you can make a little money above shipping costs, if the initial price and labor costs aren't much. For now lets ignore the cell class board and anything else that might be sellable, as I have no buyers for plastic and screens.
So how much should you pay? As little as possible, and it also depends on how fast you can dismantle a unit. If it takes you ten minutes per unit, you will have spent 3 days for 80 bucks, minus whatever the initial cost.
I would bid on these but probably wouldn't go higher than 15 or twenty per lot given my lack of actual knowledge, and I have wasted more than that on things that profited me neither money or knowledge. I expect that a small repair shop is also watching this lot, and knowing he/she can find some usable replacement parts will outbid you. If two geeks are eyeing the lot, I would expect the bidding to top $150 for the lot.
Later, I will research to find the actual weight of the boards in an iPad just to compare how close my guesses are. If anyone knows, and wishes to comment or correct my estimated values, feel free to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

I believe you’re over estimating; on multiple points.
Apple uses very small highly populated boards. With many customised chips. Reducing the overall IC population real estate dramatically.
The boards, at least from my experience range about 1-2 ounces each. But I have limited experience with iPads.

Second, 10 minutes isn’t going to happen. The glue strips holding iPads together are what make otherwise simple repairs for skilled technicians an expensive task. Takes me around 15-20 minutes with the correct tools. So unless you smash and crack your way through, which is a bad idea because

3rd. This isn’t a scrap out auction. Cracked iPad screens can fetch up to $10-$15 if properly removed. You’re looking at $30 per hour on screen recovery labour if a pallet fell off the back of a freight airliner at 30,000 feet. ;)
Not cracked, even dead, the Mini screen starts around $30! Pro series dead screens are multiple hundreds. A working pro 12.9 screen can easily net $400+.
Apple bulk auctions, in general, are not a place to look for scrap deals since the salvage buyers will FAR outbid you. That lot should pass $10k easily. A few lots of 140+ mixed iPads in mixed condition just finished over $25k each. And none were power and go. Ranging from cracked junk to near mint findmy locked.

Attachments:
CEC62F64-5F50-4912-97DC-D7B8809CD4B0.png
CEC62F64-5F50-4912-97DC-D7B8809CD4B0.png [ 1.83 MiB | Viewed 8923 times ]
9D089FFA-F17F-488E-ABFB-FDEE72E755AB.png
9D089FFA-F17F-488E-ABFB-FDEE72E755AB.png [ 2.46 MiB | Viewed 8923 times ]
06AE80D0-B7D8-44CC-89B6-60E1ABCF6215.png
06AE80D0-B7D8-44CC-89B6-60E1ABCF6215.png [ 1.69 MiB | Viewed 8923 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:27 pm 

Thanks Lost. I think your version should convince everyone that scrapping out an Ipad for the board is not feasible; at least you have convinced me to never attempt to tear into one. Now you know why my auction forays top out at 25 dollars per lot: anything that costs more than two pizzas, I figure I should leave to the experts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:53 pm 

Not that it makes any difference what these two lots will sell for, but they are school surplus and are described as being in fair condition.

1 to 2 ounces per board is a little more than I was guessing at.....was guessing maybe 4 ounces.

Those two lots are only two of the 12 I am looking at. The other 10 are various other computer, cctv, rack servers parts and etc. That being said some of the other material I know pretty well. I do not know ipads and tablets at all. So the ipads would be icing on the cake, provided I can get the other 10 lots for the right price.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:55 pm 

rdw1121, did you really read Losts reply above...he predicted those Ipad lots could easily go for ten to twentyfive thousand.
I lost a lot of 107 CPU towers today, as I could see nothing but a stack of empty cases in the display photos...not a single board visible, or any connection ports. I stopped at prebid of $30. The lot was not at the auction site, so I could not inspect it. It went for well over $300.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

By far the best source for pure scrapping is going to be cash and carry surplus and liquidation auctions.
The down side, and what keeps prices low here, is that there’s minimal pre inspection allowed. If you can look at all. Most of these auctions are pre-wrapped pallets, gayloards, etc. Ready for immediate removal buy the winner. And immediate is just that. It’s rare to be able to leave something on site more that a few hours. If the auction is on Friday you can bet that Saturday morning 8am they’ll be calling the runner up.
You can get crazy deals if you’re willing to gamble. $100 a pallet tends to be the sweet spot for most. Many many dozens of computers for that. OR! 5 computers and 50 broken monitors. I’ve lost out completely on such auctions, and also got enough systems to fill a C2 Amazon box with 4004s, 4040s, and Bell CPUs, all 8086 rate. Often you can only tell what’s on the outside.

Assuming I had money and business to compete:
Lot 1 you posted, I’d be looking about $12k as a feeler. Maybe bump to $13.5 or 14k

Lot 2 I’d head to $13.5 as a start. And up to $15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:14 pm 

Most of what see and bid is pretty much as you described....shrink wrapped ready to be picked up. Most of the auctions I watch are online and the run them for two weeks and you have normally business days to pick it up.

In fact the three boards I just posted in the identification forum is out of a lot I just picked up earlier today. Still hoping to find a silver lining in those two lots, because there was supposed to be some new Hauppauge Win Tv-HVR’s the boxes were empty when I got them. Now its a wait and see what the school and or the auction company is going to do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:51 pm 

Update:
Both lots sold for $3500 each.