Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:59 am

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:51 am 

lostinlodos wrote:

That's quite ok! :)

You've made me want to clean my work area to make a video as well of how I do then with some tips and tricks I think I've developed doing hard drives.

As for how I remove stubborn drive motors ... I usually take a large socket and put it under the motor to catch it and then use a deep 5mm socket and strike the other side driving it out of the case. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:19 am 

I know I'm late to the party on this old post but you can't chuck a torxbit in a cordless and remove 4-6 little screws? Takes mere seconds and you don't destroy anything. Sure you can use your hands and a screwdriver but why abuse your hands like that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:03 am 

jayguy10000 wrote:
but you can't chuck a torxbit in a cordless and remove 4-6 little screws?

Did you mean CAN or CAN'T? Or were you asking from the original post why they broke the board off instead of taking out the screws?

I can chuck a torx bit in my cordless drill, but it has the standard 3 jaw chuck. I have found that if you work with one type of hard drive at a time it gets faster. I sort all the hard drives by manufacture when I take the board off then get all the tiny bits ready and start pulling them apart. There are usually 3 or 4 different size screws in a drive so I take all the #8 torx screws out of each and then switch up to the other size bit which ever it may be. Kind of like an assembly line with several tools at each station. I think my best time breaking down drives was 21 per hour so that's about 3 minutes each. That was with the last station using a hammer and punch to drive the motor out.