Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

Post subject: Re: Ipad’s
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Wow. somebody got lucky.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:26 pm 

When I get bored, I read through some old posts to see if I can offer insight.
I come across a lot of posts from RDW, generally regarding auctions and how to squeeze a profit from them.
Pro tip: if you’re not getting the material for free or close to it, you’re not going to make money doing this.
I’ve been involved in ebay auctions and plenty of state run auctions here in NY, and in every case, although there have been interesting things and plenty of keeping my hands busy, I had a hard time even breaking even on the scrap side. Different story if you plan on refurbing and reselling the working units.
You WILL be gouged on Ebay. People run up auctions out of spite and larger organizations can pay more to run out the little guy, not to mention, you are competing with individuals/companies who want to fix and re-sell the lot.
Focus on getting stuff for free or for pennies and you will never have to worry about whether or not you will break even.

Fun side project: the ebay store for the state of new york’s overflow and obsolete tech sales is NYSstore. Check it out and watch the prices get outrageous. A pallet of network switches (30 ish units, a few of which were fairly recent and potentially re-saleable/re-usable) started at a dollar and ended up at several thousand. Out of the budget for the scrapper. You will never find a deal you can make money on here, or anywhere that is associated with ebay.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Thearchivebooks wrote:
...Out of the budget for the scrapper. You will never find a deal you can make money on here, or anywhere that is associated with ebay.

True. And absolutely correct. As I pointed out earlier your competition on eBay is refurb sellers. Who will take the time to fix and test stuff. Then flip them at half retail or more. So a $2 scrap iPad is going to pull $200-500+ for a refurb

I will make a counter point to my earlier post and yours. There are two places where you can kill it on eBay. Pathetically bad misspellings and live auctions.
With bad spelling the search will never pick them up. So 100 routrerss will not get flagged by most people for a buy. Searching bulk categories by ending soonest you can occasionally score big. This is an unknown issue though. Not a secret. So there’s still some competition.

With live options you have a ton of hoops to jump through for any good sellers. Perfect feedback. A high enough rating. A specific payment method on file. Some even require third party escrow!
BUT:!
If you can get in your in a plush elite setting!
Many I’ve done have had 2 minute lots or shorter. Bidding is fast, and you get tied up on settling your wins with immediate payment rules so you miss the next handful of lots.
I’ve scored real well with these. My best was 250 mixed untested feature and smart phones. I won for $15. Vast majority wound up working once they were charged up or batterie were swapped. A single Nokia candy bar covered my auction price. The rest was pure profits. Much of that went to boardsort since it was easier to scrap them over tracking down batteries.
The down side is good auctions are rare and very hard to prequalify for. As i said don’t be surprised if escrow is required. Not surprising when the next auction after the phones, that I missed, was for 50 NeXT computers! Sold for 5 digits but I don’t remember the exact price.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:01 pm 

Thearchivebooks.......

I do watch several auction sites that run online proxy bid auctions. Some of the material I post inquiries about are some I am not familiar with. Lost has seen and messed with just about every type of electronic gizmo out there. He is nice enough to share his vast knowledge, so i use his opinions as a guide. Now that being said its my money if I screw up and loose money on something based off of Lost’s opinion. I do not in any way shape, form, or fashion hold Lost accountable for any of my mistakes.

I will also say this I base my bids on the worst case “scrap” so i know where I can be and still make money at scrap prices. I let far more go than I get and I do make money doing what I am doing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:41 pm 

Since this is the day for giving Thanks, Thanks to Boardsort , the moderators and the participants of the board who post interesting items and answer endless questions.
And, I am thankful for not buying 700 access points at the auction, and not even considering a bid on about 500 ShoreTel office phones. These units went for about 30 to 50 cents per unit, but since I have neither the knowledge or time to sell those, I didn't bid. Also, on the lots of laptops, I was interested, but my interest waned when four older apple laptops , condition unknown, went for over $130 each, and even the dells went for 10 to 30 each, condition unknown. Same with the cracked screen ipads, 30 bucks each.
Now a question. I have an observation concerning something I accidentally "discovered" while tearing down scrap. While it may be common knowledge, I wish to ask Lostinlodos before I broadcast it to the public...Is there a private message feature on the board for communication between members?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Name at gmail dot com
Subject: boardsort