Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

Post subject: Dvd player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:45 pm 

OK this might be a little bit of a stretch for this forum but I’d rather not scrap this DVD player that works well aside from the video output...it’s got the yellow/white/red RCA connectors. The one that doesn’t work is the yellow video one. I’ve tried different cables (that work on other devices) but no luck. Any thoughts on how to diagnose/repair?

It’s technically a VHS/DVD combo player which is why I’m trying to fix it...these darn things have some good resale value right now

Post subject: Re: Dvd player
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Three commonly problems with these jacks.
Two involving the board contacts.

Pop the lid. Take a good look at at the solder points. You may simply have a loose pin. Which is very common; a bit of resoldering solves it. Or a short. Again a quick clean up and solder.
The other less common and more severe problem is a widened jack. Caused by frustration or stupidity. Or cheap cables that don’t correctly fit. With that you’d need to replace the jack. (PSA: you don’t need $100 component/composite cables but stay away from ones under $5)

Fry’s electronics has a massive selection of random crap. And they’re not expensive. Be more careful with tiger and new egg since you may not be buying a part from the company, rather a third party. There’s always amazon as well but fry’s has never let me down on finding something off the wall you’d never expect. And new at that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:39 pm 

I popped the lid but can’t for the life of me figure out how to pull the board out without breaking something. So as-is this is all I can see of the jack

Attachments:
C9D4862D-696E-477E-A043-D1E2BD2FD6FA.jpeg
C9D4862D-696E-477E-A043-D1E2BD2FD6FA.jpeg [ 1.93 MiB | Viewed 10143 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Oh joy. Looks like a compact unit. Not an easy fix.
I’ve scraped these before but rods and rails are not something I ever got to work. The io panel has pressure snaps; one you can see in the photo. Which will let the rear. Just pull the snap loose gently and pull the panel away. Move on to the next snap and the next part of the panel. Etc

The board is screwed into the base. Usually four externally and 4-6 internally. You’ll need to remove the disc reader to remove the board safely.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:02 pm 

Finally got the stupid thing broken down and only broken one mostly insignificant plastic peg in the process lol

I know nothing about how electronics work but here’s the reverse side under the jack component. I noticed one leg isn’t soldered...meaningful or nah?

Attachments:
053269C9-9921-421B-B110-4BAC67CC2E3C.jpeg
053269C9-9921-421B-B110-4BAC67CC2E3C.jpeg [ 750.57 KiB | Viewed 10137 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:08 am 
Site Admin

I don’t immediately see anything but that’s just visual.
The one that’s not soldered doesn’t need to be, it’s a support pin. Though they are usually bent over or twisted to add strength.

I don’t do well this this compact design. I tend to break as much as I fix and they turn into drawn out projects I often ultimately give up on anyway

Unless it’s a high end upconverter or a dvd-r/dvd-rw I wouldn’t put the effort in. You may get $50 with shipping. $100 at most. If you want to play around with it for fun and maybe get it running have at it.
I bring it to a repair shop friend of mine to fix the DVD burners since they flip for well over $150. Which makes the discounted $50 charge worth it.

My guess is still on a loose solder joint just from long term experience. If it fires up and everything else appears to work that’s a very common issue.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:59 am 

Ok. That unsoldered support pin happens to also be on the side with issues.

I’ve be flipping these like crazy on Facebook marketplace pretty quickly for $40-$60 (after picking them up at Goodwill for $4-$5)

I guess I’ll try checking for loose solder joints....I’m having a hard time locating a direct replacement piece otherwise (perhaps I don’t know the right terminology to find it)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Sush. Don’t give away our supplier! Lol. ;)

Only quick and dirty suggestion I have is the heat gun treatment.

If you can find a way to have the board be stable and flat upside down:

Attach a cylinder head (no cones)
Crank your heat gun up to 1500-1600•

Once fully heated hold the unit about 4 feet above the jacks for Apx 10 seconds.

Let cool. Then try the unit again. That’s often enough to resettle solder around any loose pins.

Hint: I use shot glasses from goodwill to support boards for upside down repairs. 99č each of 8 for $1.99. Lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:32 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Hint: I use shot glasses from goodwill to support boards for upside down repairs. 99č each of 8 for $1.99. Lol

that's a perfect solution finaly a use for empty shoot glass..that are always upside down on the table...

but

being this is a combo dvd/vhs dose the other outputs work/coxail/svideo ectra..?

if yes then we can rule out heads/traces/componets and above advice might be where id go next..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Op said the video jack was the only one not working.
The problem with this design is the ports are all put into a widget (I know) thing first. Then placed into position and soldered by machines.

Purely from my own experience the whole output piece is going to be $10-$15, pre retail price on the low end. High quality ones can shelf price at $50 or more.

My personal issue with these is they are very inconsistent.
The one pictured was obviously a faulty build from day one that may or may not have worked for any time. The analogue output gaggle (is that right?) has 3, 4, or 6 support pins under the board. In a high quality build the pins will be twisted then soldered. In lower quality builds they just twist the pins. Here it doesn’t look to even be properly twisted.
Without the proper mounting insertion and removal of cables is putting pressure directly on every pin of the whole unit. There’s movement in the whole box. Add inexpensive $1.99 gas station etc cables to the mix, which tend to be too big by a few um, and you make the force that much worse.
If that’s the only (most common) issue The reflow method I described above will reset the solder enough to reconstitute a connection

My issue is I tend to have trouble getting the entire thing properly removed. I don’t have the right wick for these. So some force is necessary on my part and I often cause fractures in the through holes.

Personally I love vhs and like Heston you can take my VHS from my cold dead hands. (Micro distributions still come out on vhs, btw). But I only have the tools to fix my units. I also buy a lot of thrift units to keep mine supplied with parts. But it’s not done correct. My personal methods for component fixes work but are ugly and flat out wrong; I’d never resell my units.