Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:39 pm 

Oh the life of a scrapper. You win a few lots for practically nothing, say ten bucks, at which price one can afford to make Boardsort bound boxes. At the next auction, one may even buy some high dollar brocade boards (high dollar if anyone is buying) but having no knowledge or source for selling, these also go into packages for our favorite buyer, Boardsort.
And then the auction house puts up 20 pallets of Dell OptiPlex , or HP or Mixed brand with 10 or so towers on each pallet I must admit that I dreamed of buying them all at minimum bid, but was brought down to earth when the first few lots went for $250 +. But dreamers keep dreaming. Maybe the lots of 10 each laptops would not attract attention....wrong again. $75 to 300 per lot.
Oh well, you lose some...wait, there are still some Brocade and Dell server boards in stacks of 8 to 10. Surely no one will know what they are or want them. Again, the poor man's lament- no one wanted them for $800 since the bidding ended around $770. This was a different model number from the older lot I bought a few months ago, with about four units for 25, which was quickly converted to Boardsort material, as there appeared to be no demand on ebay.
Maybe I should have just bought the pallet that I scrapped and held on to it for a few months, then re-consigned it...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

You win some: you loose some. With app issues. My eBay hasn’t been removing stuff when I ask it to.
Shortly after I gave up on selling it and scrapped the Apple TV for a video post; it sold! Thanks eBay. Not only did you fail to end my auction as I requested, you then make me look like a donkey for cancelling an order AND feel like crap because I scraped something sellable.

But I enjoyed taking it apart. I learned a lot and I posted the video so others could see too.

Now you know what’s inside that purchase you made. You can use that to gage pricing moving forward.

Take a different approach—you never fail. You succeed, or you learn something.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:11 am 

And just when I thought I was going to settle for visions of sugarplums dancing thru my head, a two item lot of servers arrived on the screen without much chatter. I bid the ridiculously low opening and waited to lose another lot. Didn't happen.
Got to the warehouse and discover I did not buy a couple of oversized PC towers. I had a couple boxes about the size of dorm refrigerators. Digital brand servers, couple hundred pounds each. I was too hurried to get the model number or check out condition at the time, but did snap a couple photos without the face grill. I am thinking these may require offering online before scrapping. The photos rotated left when sent from droid

Attachments:
20191220_133713.jpg
20191220_133713.jpg [ 2.37 MiB | Viewed 7225 times ]
20191220_133825.jpg
20191220_133825.jpg [ 3.04 MiB | Viewed 7225 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Nice. Cd, floppy, quick swap bays. Middle range servers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Just... what happened to he door? Lol!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:03 pm 

I have both locked doors, still fastened to the plastic trim/ I don't know why they are off. City surplus.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Nah: for a tech it’s just one of those face palm moments.
I actually ripped the front door out of my cosmos in frustration when Win 10 kept ejecting the disc tray on every reboot.
It’s a rhetorical question on what drives a person to do that.
;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Re: user Samir
I’ve temporarily disabled your account. I couldn’t keep up with the rapid fire postings. I have not blocked anything however. If you choose to reregister I kindly ask you do not post reply’s to every thread you come across with sell it on eBay.
I’ve discussed the many pros and cons of eBay at length here. We all know about it. Those who wish to go that route can do so.

Specifically to point out the Xeon processor you linked to. That’s an asking price. Used it runs $0.99-14.99 with $6-$12 as a sweet spot. However two quick things can be gathered by the sales history.

Most sold with free shipping. So properly boxing and mailing cost the seller between $3.60-$8.90.
There are literally thousands that didn’t sell (+1299, the limit for my plug-in app) when filtered by completed unsold.
This is a wonderful pair of server workstations and probably worth the resale effort. For the vast majority of users many of the other sell on eBay posts you made are break even or loss headaches.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:18 pm 

I have no idea who samir is, and have no interest in samir, but what I AM interested in, this eBay analytical app or whatever you're talking about. I mean I appreciate using the sold filter but it seems that only goes back a few months or so. I'm working from a smartphone, so gathering info, finding the tools, using them to max efficiancy, is a rather lengthy process.

Example: my eBay account. I finally got the hang of posting, made a few sales, then came payments. Ibwas working with a Walmart prepaid card withbonlyna few dollars, made a sale, went to print my label with nonprinter(I have no idea what my logic was)/ had to refund my label, reprint a label, with not enough cash on the card, had to refund the item. I now end up with a locked eBay account and,....

But attempt number two will provide better results, I assure both you thebreader and I.

But this app. Can you fill me in?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:26 am 
Site Admin

I should be a bit more clear on where I got my numbers from: obviously.
But in the time it took me to enter the Id into the software, push search, and click sort in the results, and quickly post that note he had already posted quite a few more times.
The posted failures number are beyond just ebay.
Ebay has store and subscription packages sellers can buy into for discounts. These include a different dashboard and some nifty tools. The price is a bit high if all you want to do is search though. Completed auctions can be displayed back 12-18 months depending on category.
I do believe the tools can be subscribed to alone now.
But there’s more to it for me. I use a program called Turbo Sell. It’s an archaic piece of software from eBay’s early days. It includes the old program turbo lister that no longer works. It grew into a nifty piece of kit Over the years. It uses APIs from various sales sites to search current and past listings.
It also had all sorts of plugins and was openly extendable. Even though the old tool APIs are mostly dead I repointed them to the internet archive saves urls. So I can search, eg, eBay’s search from 2017. Including all the switches and filters such as sold or unsold.
Or find info from amazon products via a know ASIN even after items are retired and removed from the amazon database.
Or search Yahoo auctions. Etc.

Though not done so here I also regularly use camelcamelcamel.
An Amazon price history searcher.

I have no idea where anyone would be able to track down Turbo Sell/Turbo Seller now. Made harder since both names and turbo lister as well are used interchangeably for slightly different products from the same company. (Turbo lister is a module for the former two, or a stand alone program).

There’s a fork on the Internet but it’s from a far more recent version and is missing many of the old options. Such as Quick C/Visual C extensions
Mine runs on Windows 98SE via Parallels on a Mac.
- - which also tells you how long a hard drive can last when set to read only. And rarely used, but never totally shut down: Currently running on a 128GB Maxtor (seagate) from 2005.

I don’t remember for sure but I believe I bought mine via an infomercial. ;)