Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:35 pm 

I noticed that there was some discussion on the prices being higher on auction lots of computers. I have just finished updating about seventy towers and laptops to windows 10 from windows 7 with legal activation. How to Geek has several articles about this free upgrade. I think this may be part of the reason the bids are going higher since the lots are more of the newer towers and laptops. The older pcs are included in the lots so get higher bids. It makes scrapping a little harder to make money. I don't know how long the free upgrade will last since windows 7 support stops January 14th but for now it is available to those that want to upgrade to a system that will be continuously upgraded by Microsoft. It may pay to upgrade pcs and sell as a working system (which I have done) but you would have to have enough units to cover any issues. Most of the pcs I upgrade show any issues they have when I am doing the upgrade but most have no issues since the ones I get are government or school units just being swapped out for newer units.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Great post.
I want to point out a few things quickly.
First the free upgrade is technically over. Microsoft didn’t track the upgrade system in the beginning so rather than risk issues with ‘second’ they just leave it open for now.
Second: there’s a large subset of computers out there (embedded, AiO, HTPC...) that are custom enough that there’s been a fair deal of total update failures once running 10. Totally botched updates requiring reinstall or primary rescue require a 7 key. Even though the vast majority of 10 failures can be recovered in place with little to no loss, a key from 7 is required for the update disc and in most cases to install the download installer. So for now 7-to-10 for free is the best option they have for supporting 10.

Finally; an absolute must. If you intend to upgrade components on older pre-8 era computers do so BEFORE you upgrade to 10. It’s well documented that reactivation is spotty at best. It’s easier to do hardware upgrades up front then it is to jump through hoops trying to reactivate branded systems. CS by phone operators will default to telling you to contact the manufacturer. ...Who says contact Microsoft.
So add parts first then upgrade to 10.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:29 pm 

The How to Geek article does mention that you have to have valid 7,8,8.1 coa key to upgrade. I had a 2015 media disc for windows 10 to do first install then upgraded to newest windows 10 version using the links in the article which if anyone wants the links and how to description of what I did I will be glad to give how tos. I did clean install over my windows 7 but if I wanted to I could have used another clean harddrive and kept the windows 7 harddrive intact. I had no issues with my installs other than on a couple I had to input the coa key in after I installed windows 10 and updated to latest version since it didn't like the valid coa key in the beginning but did recognized it at the end and validated. Another thought you have to use the right version of windows 10 for version of windows 7, Pro verses Home. This upgrade that I am talking about should be used first as learning experience on secondary pc then once get the hang of it then do what you want. Also I did online validation so I did not have to deal with people issues. I did have to go online for some hp laptop drivers for the fingerprint reader but was able to find them since windows 10 didn't install the drivers and I would give those sp numbers if needed.