Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:00 am 

So: for several months, I have been collecting boards for my next trip to Boardsort. I have enough volume already, but at this point, adding a few more pounds does not raise the costs since I deliver rather than ship, so I was slack on final sorting of the boards. I had reason to drive to the Cleveland area over the weekend with a van load of items that required personal delivery, but, as my boards were not quite ready, and I hadn't made arrangements for a trailer, and I hadn't made arrangements with Boardsort for delivery today, I made the trip without accomplishing a dual delivery at one trip expense.
Confession: with the recent increase in gold prices, my mother boards had jumped several dollars in value, so I was content to delay delivery and watch prices inch upward a bit more.
Well, it looks like I have squandered the chance to roll in a few extra dollars. Price has adjusted down, slightly, so I guess tonight will be another $5 Little Ceasars pizza, rather than splurging on another chain's $8 special.

Note: while I missed the opportunity to make combined delivery in one trip, there was another opportunity to double up. On the way home, I stopped in Kentucky and acquired several hundred pounds of rock specimens which otherwise would have required another days travel and expenses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:29 pm 

Holding large amounts of gold, copper, aluminum, etc. is definitely playing the stock / commodities market. Gold did go down a bit as people and fund managers de-leveraged to avoid margin calls and took a cash position to wait and see the severity of the economic impact of the virus and the government's fiscal response. Right now, demand for physical gold is WAY UP and these companies that sell bullion have reported almost 1,000% increase in gold & silver sales in the past couple weeks. I will not give anyone economic or stock advice publicly but I personally think about a couple key things right now:

- The Fed and other countries are printing money right now at a rate they have never done before.
- The economic impact will be severe.

Interpret that how you see fit and make your investments accordingly.

Most importantly, I hope everyone is staying safe right now. Take care of yourselves, your family and neighbors. If anyone needs any help, don't be afraid to reach out to any community assistance programs in your area or even people on this board. Forum community members are all over the country (and the world, really) and I am sure would be happy to help in any way they can. Best wishes everybody.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

So mind the price though and not the percentage.
Gold is up about $100 per Troy ounce... over the last 3 months. There’s very little movement in the human use value.
Take a gold one ounce bar to a buyer and you’ll get about $1200-$1250 for it. 6 months ago it was just about the same.
The commodities price and the human price have minimal impact on each other unless the spike (up or down) is over 500 dollars.
At the moment it’s too expensive to be useable as a form of payment.

I have heard rumours of some smaller shops taking silver coins at 4x face though.
And using that I can safely say that, based on just those few people, silver is worth $4 per ounce in human trade.
Compare:
What are you going to buy with that gold eagle?

More specifically you can buy a bottle of water for a silver quarter. Or four bottles for a silver dollar.
People telling you to invest in gold don’t have your best interests in mind. It’s not a usable commodity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:48 am 

Gold and silver are the most liquid asset there is in the entire world. They are accepted as money in every country in the world. The monetary system in every country will be changing in the next year or so. The dollars or yen or euros will be worthless soon. Its called inflation and it is coming very quickly now. There is a physical silver and gold shortage right now. There is up to a two month wait at any bullion dealer. I made a silver order two weeks ago and it has not shipped yet. I bought some on ebay for 125% over spot price and got it in 4 days.

You cannot hold a bitcoin or a stock in your hand. They have no use if no one thinks they are worth anything. Same with the dollar or the yen or the euro. once people lose trust in its value. Gold and silver have been worth something for thousands of years. And they will always have value. Anyone telling you not hold gold or silver do not have your best interests in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

I totally agree with the second paragraph. I hold crypto. And it’s definitely not an investment. It’s more a place to hold some value that could be more or less than what I started with, in order to make some online purchases easier.
Like my cloud drive which holds an off site backup of my database and a partial backup of these forums amongst other things.
I’m not crazy enough to consider it an investment.
The last few days I’ve had to stop watching the market. I was literally getting seasick watching the lines.

I don’t dismiss gold. Rather I point out a flaw in hoarding it as a spendable liquid.

Gold has fallen out of the item of payment realm for two reasons.
First it’s too expensive to buy anything in a daily transaction. You may be able to pay for a month’s worth of groceries with a quarter eagle or an Otter (quarter ounce non-monetary coin). But what are you going to pay for with a gold eagle or a Liberty or a gold panda? And there’s not enough market silver to make change.
Gold coins are not in public circulation. Unlike silver coins which still circulate to some extent; nobody in any country is wondering around with gold coins.

The reason I focus on silver is it’s out in public in an abundance and in known weights. Every major economic country has silver bullion.
Silver liberty, maple leaf, lions, silver euro, tiger, panda, dragon, and is. All internationally minted silver ounce coins. Silver coins circulated until just recently. Such as the 10€ or the ring euro. Both are known weights and legal tender.
I pointed out us silver coins previously.
They still circulate to some minor degree, but exist in vast quantities ready for use as silver weight.
The general public can easily do the math involved.

I fully support holding on to physical commodities.
Gold. Silver. Platinum, palladium. Even nickel and tin.
Modern Pennies are worth up to 1.5 cents. Older ones more... up to 4 cents

Nickels are above face value as well. At 6 cents

Where the fun is is in silver coins.
The wartime nickel is 80cents
Dimes at $1
Quarter at $2.50
Halve at 5.20
Dollars at $11-$15 depending on type

A gold dollar trades as just under $80
The quarter eagle at at $196
The half at $391
Eagles at $785
And the double at 1570

Let’s have some fun with this
The modern dollar is 0.05
The octo dollar was 6 cents
Half dollar is 8 cents
Quarter at 8 cents

More fun.
It’s the end of the world and nobody is collecting. They’re shredding their collection for coins now.
Type coins and test strikes.
Silver pennies are about $1-$1.50 depending on the date and metals
A tin quarter is 60 cents
Aluminium pennies and dimes are 0 and 0 respectively.

Real world off strikes
Brass pennies 1.3 cents, made from bullet shells
Steel pennies are just as worthless for metal value
3 cent coppers are 6 cents
Bronze dimes? 16 cents.
Silver modern proofs are the same value as the old silver coins.

Silver and gold plated pennies are not officially recognised. Party coins. Worth 2-5 cents and 10-50 cents depending on the thickness
Gold plated quarters run about 75cents. But again the thickness of the gold matters.
There were 3 cent silver coins. But they were useless. People lost them. And they will loose them now. Worth about 33 cents.

I know I’m missing a bunch so ask if you want me to look it up or post if you know something.

The reality is gold is and has been a stable value gain. And will always be useable as money in a pinch. Any major investment bank (think Citi or Chase) will take in gold, have it assayed, and deposit cash into your account. Assuming you have the right kind of account.
You just can’t do it at a teller.
It’s universal money. As is silver. Along with Jade and Silk these are the 4 market traders you can walk into a sufficiently large business and make a purchase with. Silk has fallen into disuse. And jade has minimal value in the west but is still usable in many Asian and Far Eastern European countries. Gold and silver are accepted everywhere. The thing is that silver is easily traded. Again, gold is at the moment too valuable to be usable.
If every government collapses I don’t doubt the trade market will deal in both.
But you’ll find it easier to buy a can of soup and a loaf of bread, and that water bottle from above, with silver
bars and coins, rather than gold.
That was what I was pointing out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:50 am 

The reason that it is hard to purchase a loaf of bread with a gold coin is that the currency is so inflated. Because the currency is inflated it puts a high price in currency on gold. The more gold is valued in currency the more worthless that currency is thus making it seemed like gold is overvalued, but in reality the currency is getting more and more worthless. Right now the silver to gold ratio is like 112 to 1. Meaning that it takes 112 ounces of silver to 1 once of gold valued in dollar currency. Never in the history of the world has it been that high. It comes out of the ground at 9 to 1. Plus silver is consumed more than gold, meaning it disappears through waste. We are a couple more stimulus packages away from have 100,000 dollar bills.

Los I will buy every silver 3 cent piece you have for a dollar each. Just think you will be making a 66% return. Lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Mwfhawk wrote:
Los I will buy every silver 3 cent piece you have for a dollar each. Just think you will be making a 66% return. Lol

Lmao! Nice try.
The economy has not had any effect on numismatics values. Other than raising the value of silvers and golds out of the average collectors’ budgets even if they still have income.
Formerly slug 3s are now over the $20 mark.
How many people have actually seen a pattern strike nickel. The above numbers were the basic release for the nickel. From 43-45 all sorts of test strikes and patterns were Made.
I have a 90% silver test strike nickel. (I’ll post a photo later).
Attachment:
8DD63D0B-3C2F-49A8-AFBA-C3EB6CF54EB1.jpeg
8DD63D0B-3C2F-49A8-AFBA-C3EB6CF54EB1.jpeg [ 2.14 MiB | Viewed 7228 times ]

I had it slabbed at one point before deciding the arbitrary “grade”, obviously low, detracted from the actually rarity of the piece.
I don’t collect coins much but like computer storage I have a thing for collecting the bizarre.
There is already discussion of turning the nickel into a nickel coated zinc piece.
War and economic turmoil make for weird ideas in money. The civil war silver shortage brought us nickel (the metal) coins. Silver and gold hoarding brought us silver and gold certificates. During the Great War we got strange underweight quarters. In the depression aluminium tests were made for pennies and dimes.
Along with silver nickels, WWII gave us both steel and Brass pennies in normal circulation on purpose.
But all sorts of test strikes were made. Aluminium pennies. High alloy silver nickels. Tin. Bronze. Testing was done for the first time on what would become the current post 80s penny. Clad coins can be found in this period as well. Many of these tests were dumped into circulation. By accident or on purpose. Samples given to congress wound up in private collections.
Selling them is always iffy and you occasion hear about (from the collection world) large scale SS confiscations when these things come to auction. Other times they appear to have no concern (a wooden penny from 67 sold without bother).
For me? No chance I’m giving up my 3s for that price. Not any time soon. But agin: nice try!
For everyone else, you can see how bored I am at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:47 am 
Site Admin

SS being secret service, for clarification.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:05 pm 

I would think just the pcgs pattern coin cert. Would create the value, independent of wear grading, the problem with pattern (and error) coins to me, from a collecting or business point of view, is that there is obscenely high levels of doubt that any uncertified pieces are even genuine, to the point that without a slab despite a 6 figure listing for that var. It's essentially worthless in your hand at any coin dealer (or valued as a generic member of that series)

But I don't deal with numistmatists on a national level, could very well be my local dealer take me for a rook, he offers $12 for a VERY nice 1857 flying cent RB VF~XF, called it "polished"

Seems I hear that whenever I try to sell something of numismatic value

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

From a sales standpoint any slab is better than none. Even less common companies.
But... I have no intention of giving it up. Ever. It sits on a display shelf next to a 1.9” floppy and some others I call my shelf of things that should not be. ;)

This one came from a junk silver auction.
I just happen to be one of those people who both rarely collects coins and prefers them “raw” this was slabbed as a 20TT 90/10 and to me that took away from the history. It may be dark but I actually like it. Compare to most silver nickels that tone this one has character. “I’m dirty and I’m proud!” The features are all there. You can even see some flow from the strike. In my book, the only one that matters to me, this is a perfect 70. A coin that shows both it’s age and use, AND has survived the environment!

Show me a shiny coin from 1943 in a slab at ms 60+ and I’ll probably pass.