Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:45 pm 

While looking through the payout rates I wasn't able to identify any information relating to vintage circuit boards. Does anyone have any information on these types of boards?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:14 pm 

age doesn't have anything to do with the grade of the board... it is more about the population of components on the board. I have seen 60's era boards with nothing more than a bunch of resistors on it go for low grade green board.

Basically the more IC chips and and surface mounted devices the higher the grade will be. The more transformers and extra plastic/metal on the board the lower the grade will be.

If you post some pics of the material, the mods will be able to give you a better idea of a grade.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:02 am 

I disagree, because a lot of boards from the 60s and so forth used excessive amounts of precious metals in higher amounts because the technology was not available. Now modern conventional methods use less gold and silver to get the same speed and efficiency that they were going after before. That's why old processors have such a large payout rate. But I will post pictures tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:31 am 
Site Admin

I'd think your both right. Anything pre-mid-70s is gonna be high pm value. But that danger area on generic quotes comes from 72-89 where so much junk was put out.
A datacet from 1977 gave me over 2 ounces CLEAN gold (talking picking crap off the board mind you; not refining ) but a telegames (sears vcs Atari) will be crap low board And worth less than $5 total completely stripped to everything sellable. Stuff from DEC and IBM will be high end but not Packard?
And there's more gold and platinum in an 1987 SG Marc 2 arcade unit than modern mainframe systems.
As stated above best to post pics and wait for a mod.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:33 am 
Site Admin

I'd think your both right. Anything pre-mid-70s is gonna be high pm value. But that danger area on generic quotes comes from 72-89 where so much junk was put out.
A datacet from 1977 gave me over 2 ounces CLEAN gold (talking picking crap off the board mind you; not refining ) but a telegames (sears vcs Atari) will be crap low board And worth less than $5 total completely stripped to everything sellable. Stuff from DEC and IBM will be high end but not Packard?
And there's more gold and platinum in an 1987 SG Marc 2 arcade unit than modern mainframe systems.
As stated above best to post pics and wait for a mod.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:24 am 

Kcbushinski wrote:
I disagree, because a lot of boards from the 60s and so forth used excessive amounts of precious metals in higher amounts because the technology was not available. Now modern conventional methods use less gold and silver

Please do not read this as mean-spirited or condescending because I do not mean it that way. You can disagree if you want, but when it comes down to it, Boardsort judges each board and gives it a grade based on the components on the boards. I have been there in person, many times, and know how they look at material and what they are looking for.

If you have a processor on it, they will grade it a certain way... more IC chips, get graded differently... a couple copper transformers, graded another way... it is much more about the components on the boards. That is why they ask for pictures to more accurately grade the boards.

While it has been my experience that older boards do tend to grade higher, saying that all 'vintage' boards have excessive amounts of precious metals simply isn't true. The older components may have a higher PM content, but it is often offset by their size (and lower board population). Older chips are bulky and have smaller lead counts than their modern versions. Older capacitors have PM's, but are 100 times lager than current MLCC's. Modern BGA chips have higher gold content than some of the best gold cap processors. It really comes down to the components.

In regards to your original post, they do not have a separate classification for older boards. If they grade it as such, they will count it as telecom... if you happen to have a board with a gold cap chip soldered into it, they will upgrade it beyond that. I have also brought them something they classify as 'pin board'. These are old boards that have a whole lot of wire wrapped gold platted pins that they give their own class and was an even higher grade last time I brought some in. Those are the highest grades they give boards unless you have a specialty item. I'm pretty sure most of your items will fall into these categories, but post some pics if you can, just to be sure... the mods will be able to give you a pretty good idea so you know prior to sending in material.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 am 

If you have something that you feel doesn't fit any of the general categories, feel free to take some photos and post them in the What is it? Identification Forum. The mods can be very helpful here. It also provides us with some interesting browsing.

For stuff that is really out there, you can email Chris directly for an assessment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:13 pm 

Here are a fee pictures of some of the boards which I have. Also no offence taken in anyway I appreciate everyone's insight.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 2.66 MiB | Viewed 13570 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:17 pm 

Here's the backs

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 3.01 MiB | Viewed 13569 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:03 am 
Site Admin

Ohkay the technical term is etching board. Your probably right in that being silver. Though again i /strongly/ suggest getting it scanned. Before you even consider sending it anywhere... it may also be tin. Zinc. Nickel (lower value) or... palladium platinum or even rhodium. If the latter two a refinery will pay much much more for it.
As for what Boardsort would class it. ? Wait for smarter people than I.