Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Mwfhawk Makes some good points.
Ultimately now is a good time to move everything, or nothing. Lol!

Paper commodities are a difficult thing to track.
Spot, market, shorts, hauls, ...
Generally my discussion on metals pricing uses the actual materials price.
If you hop onto a stock tracker and look for gold you’ll find a price between $1298 and $1302.

XE, the largest free to access currency converter, has the price at $1711. Down about $10 from a few days ago. Argus has it at $1805. Daimler has it at 1760.
If you (Were allowed to) walked into an investment bank and dropped an ounce of 995 gold at the teller (convolution aside in dealings) you’d get between $1500 and $1800.
A cash for gold place would pay you around 1300. Ebay would sell in the $1800 range.

Here’s how I deal with it. On any day.
Some one calls and says I have an ounce of gold at 995...
I look at the US trade price: $1301.60
I go to xe and look it up. $1711.27
Then I go to the gold and silver calc and look it up: $1710.41
And take the average. I’ll pay you $1574.
I’ll sell it for $1650.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:17 pm 

The prices aren't bad, and we are purging for a move halfway across the country anyway, so at this time in May of 2020 I'll be sending in everything I have. That's the most economical for shipping as well. For example, I have eight pounds of hard drive platters which would otherwise cost far more to ship than they're worth, but combined with a couple hundred pounds of boards, CPUs, RAM, pins, chips and connector ends, it becomes feasible.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 8:39 pm 

Board prices have come back up enough from a few weeks ago ( In fact, higher than I have ever sold at ) that I am just waiting for Ohio to loosen restrictions in order to drive up to deliver. Since I am retired, and consider it a mini-vacation, plus collected several hundred pounds of fossil and collectable rocks in Kentucky last time, I figure I have paid for my rock collecting trip: a fellow can rationalize and justify any thing he really wants to do. As such, I can also deliver the low grade material that isn't valuable enough to ship. 600 miles one way, but at Interstate speeds, only a 8-9 hour drive. Besides, I get all giddy coming into Cincinnati all lit up after dark: would almost make the drive just to see that sight from the East. Looks almost like the Starship from the movies. ( I have posted similar previously so this is aimed at the newer members who haven't read every single post )

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Cincinnati is an awesome city to view at night.
Only one I’ve seen better in the US is coming DOWN (from the east via Colorado) on Vegas. Omg it’s a little ball on the horizon, then it’s gone, then around the bend and just wow.

We are talking driving wise obviously. Chicago, Seattle, and LA are awesome night flights!