Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:08 pm 

all of these boards came out of hard drives and dvd drives, not sure on the grade on them, its my first time

Attachments:
IMG_8969.jpg
IMG_8969.jpg [ 2.72 MiB | Viewed 2412 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

The bottom right I’m a bit confused on.can you flip it?
Rest are definitely CD/DVD

On further review I’m placing the debates board, left side, two column row, as high telco. Not fitting of where it should be.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:41 pm 

Top Left to Right then down looks like

CD/DVD board --- HDD board --- CD/DVD board

CD/DVD board --- CD/DVD board --- CD/DVD board

--- HDD board --- CD/DVD board

--- --- Floppy drive board

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:40 am 
Site Admin

marked141 wrote:

Those two you have as “HDD” are cd/dvd
The higher one is a standard Korean OEM layout, with the Realtek chip on it giving it away.
The lower one is from a half-height drive. Probably a slot load drive or game machine. Here the cache chip giving it away. Though this one gives me a slight doubt even if it’s a hard drive board it’s missing part of the controller set (meaning a two board setup) and is still cd/dvd class anyway.

The one I was questioning, I believed was a floppy drive with a surface mount motor but couldn’t be sure it wasn’t a minidisc board without seeing the other side. If floppy it’s peripheral class.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:04 pm 

This makes me question my entire pile of HDD boards sitting at home now... I'm getting better at recognizing basic layouts of common boards but getting specific to a single missing chip and I'm lost again. D:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

A few easy things to look for.
Lobsters. Realtek is one of the largest suppliers of optical controllers (CD/DVD/MagOpt) and audio processing SASCs. If you see a lobster it’s not a hard drive board.

DAC. If any of the chips say DAC or Digital Analogue or DidgCon it’s not a hard disk board.

Excessive cache chips. 9:10 this is a Blue Laser disc board (Blu-ray/HD-DVD/CBHD/HVD). These, especially burners, need memory. Sometimes lots of it.
Hybrid drives are an exception that calls for posting a photo of your not pulling the board free yourself, but it’s very rare to find HDD boards with more than 2 cache chips. A 16 MB buffer on a BDRW will take the form of 4, 8, 16, or even 32 chips. (The later two get upgrades to high telco btw). Even in mass production it’s less expensive to use multiple memory chips than large RAM chips and custom memory controllers. Optical is sequential and time constrained. Hard drives don’t worry about where the cache bits are or the delay in finding, and clearing, them.

Also to note 2.5” and smaller ATA disks usually have two boards. One on the outside and a thin strip behind the port inside the case. I’ve seen those 1.25” media player disks, most have two but some have as many as three or 4 boards. I assume it’s space constraints. A Toshiba I opened up once had one board on each side with a connecting ribbon and a third INSIDE flat under the platter!
Multi board hard disk assemblies fall under CD/DVD or high telco.