Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:23 pm 

Hello, I'm hoping to do a lot of business with you. I have been saving up stuff for escrap but I have a few questions. Attatched to the post you'll see 3 types of connector ends, are all 3 acceptable? I also have shown small memory sticks and chips for electronics like cameras with gold fingers. I did not see these in the price guide, do I just try to remove the gold portion? Same with the cable box video card; will you buy the entire card or should the gold portion be cut/scraped out. I have scrapped a lot of cable boxes so I have plenty. I also found hand held scanners with gold pins inside; do I just clip them down as short as possible or try to remove them entirely? Finally, I have RCA connector wires that seem to be gold plated. Are they and if so, how would I scrap/sell them to you? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Attachments:
20200531_225557.jpg
20200531_225557.jpg [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 3578 times ]
20200531_225851.jpg
20200531_225851.jpg [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 3578 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:07 am 
Site Admin

All the connectors are gold pin connector

The memory cards are peripheral. Remove plastic shells for peripheral, gold finger cards, or high telco

The empty PDAs/Scanners are mid grade as is.

Smart cards need to be trimmed down to the gold with minimal plastic. As such they get SIM card rate which may or may not be on the quote form itself

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:06 pm 

So that raises an interesting question that I think I know the answer to, but I thought I'd ask your take on it. What about the chip part of modern smart card credit cards? I have a background in cybersecurity and I try to stay on top of privacy concerns and identity theft concerns. I have always shredded old cards. It never crossed my mind before to recycle the chip out of a credit card for the gold plating because of the information on the chip.

Do you know a way to erase them or otherwise destroy the data on the chip?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Chips from chip cards go as SIM cards. The only way I know for sure is to over-volt them. Essentially melting the internals.
I’m sure there’s other ways that may or may not work.
I use a 9volt battery. Makes a stinky toxic poof if you do it right so do it outside.
I do this for my credit cards and when I change phone models. Why must each sim be smaller than the last?!?

Tools.
Electric rated Alligator clips (don’t use shirt hangers).
12 gage wire.
Wire nips
9-volt
Face mask. Goggles are a good idea as well as properly fitting gloves.

You need to know the chip layout. Clamp the positive and negative terminals on the battery to pre stripped wire
Tap wire ends to positive and negative points on chip.

The person who taught me the trick owns a cell shop. And she uses a 20-volt sign battery. But I never had an issue with the 9-volt.