Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

Post subject: IC Chips
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:48 pm 

[*]so excuse my ignorance but I don’t know what a Dallas switch is, I have a few pounds of these chips below and they are separated by with window or
With no window. Can you tell me what a Dallas Switch is??? And are the photos of what I sent considered Ok for IC chip rate?

Attachments:
B2784679-3547-486D-BB3D-ED7AF4676373.jpeg
B2784679-3547-486D-BB3D-ED7AF4676373.jpeg [ 3 MiB | Viewed 5180 times ]

Post subject: Re: IC Chips
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:59 pm 

mjm316 wrote:
[*]so excuse my ignorance but I don’t know what a Dallas switch is, I have a few pounds of these chips below and they are separated by with window or
With no window. Can you tell me what a Dallas Switch is??? And are the photos of what I sent considered Ok for IC chip rate?

1st those are ics....

2nd. what he calls ''dallas switches'' in the buy list is this [see attachments]
plz note that he calls them that but all of them are not made by ''Dallas'' and are not clearly marked as such.

3rd the reason they are bad becuse they have button cells in them see picture
download/file.php?mode=view&id=17756

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:09 pm 

Thank you Rick, that was informative as I’ve never seen a Dallas Switch. If what I have is considered ICS I don’t see those listed on the buy sheet or are they listed as something else?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

mjm316 wrote:
Thank you Rick, that was informative as I’ve never seen a Dallas Switch. If what I have is considered ICS I don’t see those listed on the buy sheet or are they listed as something else?

IC chips, no Dallas switches. $7 (atm)

Anything with a battery inside it a “Dallas Switch”
Though as above, Dallas was the largest but not only manufacturer.
These cover two things. A RTC (real time clock); the vast majority of them.

Battery backed ram. Rare then, very rare to find today. Most are so-called stackers so the memory IC is plugged into a battery package that looks like an IC with holes on the top for the memory pins. And the whole thing then plugged into the board. Just gently separate the battery level from the IC in such cases.

I don’t suggest messing with clocks. Removing the battery and case leaves you with a midgrade component. Just toss them in a battery bin somewhere for free.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:34 pm 

Thank you Lost I appreciate the information. So from what I understand what I sent in the pictures is still considered IC chips, none of what I have has any type of battery attached. They either have a window under the sticker or they do not have a window.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:39 pm 

Last question if any of the IC chips I have that are made by Dallas, which are labeled Dallas on the top, should be removed before shipping to BoardSort even if the don’t have the battery? Is the policy that BoardSort doesn’t buy any IC chips that were made by the manufacturer Dallas? Or just Dallas IC chips that have the battery? Sorry to be a pain I just want to be sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Correct. Ones with windows can be erased with UV light. Without a window they are electrically erasable or not erasable at all.
You don’t have to sort that far as there’s no difference in classing them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

DSC did make ICs as well. And they are acceptable if proper sorted. Also email Chris and LEat HIM KNOW they are included. The general reaction to any “Dallas” branding or a picture of a clock is: no look no count no care.

You must also be absolutely certain it’s ICs and not battery backed ram or clocks.