Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

Post subject: New to E-scrap
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:32 pm 

Guys i was hoping to find out what printed circuit boards are going for? I am a plastics recycler and really have no idea what im doing regarding electronics.

Post subject: Re: New to E-scrap
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:07 am 
Site Admin

The payout list has both prices and pop up images for a wide class of boards.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:02 am 

Mykeb130 wrote:
Guys i was hoping to find out what printed circuit boards are going for? I am a plastics recycler and really have no idea what im doing regarding electronics.

Mykeb130,

Want to buy some plastics, haha?!?!

If you know any good buyers for bulk or companies who will take material for *free* **to be recycled properly**, Give us a line drop; if possible.

I sort all my ABS, FR-40, PC, #7, etc. plastics with no foreign materials or ferrous metals. All adhesives and most rubber is excluded as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Mykeb130 wrote:
...I am a plastics recycler ...

And that makes you a god to people like us.
Want free plastic? Just cover shipping with a merchandise return label(s) from fedex or USPS.

I promise you the boardsort community will send you more of the most over sorted plastics than you’ve ever seen.

Seriously: scan through the discussions. Most of us just want to get rid of it and not have to toss it in the trash.
I know I can get $0.80 for sorted ABS in 1000lb lots but I want to get rid of 10 lbs. today.
And 35 pounds on Monday. And 4 lbs on Wednesday.
Any thoughts on that?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:15 pm 

It's probably been answered already but what does 1000 lbs of abs shells look like volume wise? I've been tossing about a cubic yard of em every couple days for weeks but don't have a weight on them, since 2 can easily lift most of that wrapped in a tarp, I'm guessing around 100lbs per cubic yard, so to save up 1000+ lbs I'd need a 10+ yrd container? I just don't have the space to have that sitting around, for now

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:25 pm 

Did we scare him off? I really would be interested in seeing what he says about our plastics dilemma.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:20 am 
Site Admin

Kaiser613 wrote:
It's probably been answered already but what does 1000 lbs of abs shells look like volume wise? I've been tossing about a cubic yard of em every couple days for weeks but don't have a weight on them, since 2 can easily lift most of that wrapped in a tarp, I'm guessing around 100lbs per cubic yard, so to save up 1000+ lbs I'd need a 10+ yrd container? I just don't have the space to have that sitting around, for now

If you have a long term buyer who trusts you, and you’re an honest personal (generally speaking, not you specifically)...
a buyer may allow you to crush, shred, or compact it. In such cases 1000lbs can be nothing more than a 4’x4’x6’ 1000lb cube! On the other hand 1000lbs of non-compressed aerated ABS foam could could fill a high school or college stadium.
marked141 wrote:
Did we scare him off? I really would be interested in seeing what he says about our plastics dilemma.

I hope not but fear we may have.

@ Mykeb130
Seriously... sorry!
Plastic is a big concern for many of us escrap people.
Where some users are still trying to sell it (some plastics are quite expensive as you are aware);
But the majority of us just want to recycle it. Break even and do the right thing.
A few of us, myself included, just want it gone. Free as in free. Here, take it. Make it go away.

A family of four is estimated to use between 250-1000lbs of plastic waste a month based on reports from Argus, SRX, and Waste Daily. A hobbyist scrapper can match that alone.
And retro techs can double that rate or more.
For many years I produced close to 500lbs a week.

Right now I send my most earth dangerous scrap to a 100% recovery company quarterly for a fee and pray that my state laws (all collected materials in recycling collection must be recycled; Whether or not the materials are on the company’s accepted list) are enforced as well as I hope. Because much of it winds up either in the curb bin or at my local steel yard. Who buys 4 plastics at independent rates and around 20 more as steel shred. So anything not marked goes there.
Boss Man gets mad when plastic is the ONLY thing I bring in but puts up with me since he gets a few hundred to a few thousand pounds of high grade steel and aluminium alloys each month at the highest base rate. We accept we break even, sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:53 am 

bump

Mykeb130,

Quote:
@ Mykeb130
Seriously... sorry!
Plastic is a big concern for many of us escrap people.
Where some users are still trying to sell it (some plastics are quite expensive as you are aware);
But the majority of us just want to recycle it. Break even and do the right thing.
A few of us, myself included, just want it gone. Free as in free. Here, take it. Make it go away.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:36 am 
Site Admin

Spence1015 wrote:

(S)he’s gone.
:(

You know... some of us (ME) never learn.
After the years now of seeing this every time a plastics person shows up I should probably admin edit or outright delete “omg you buy plastic” comments and yet every time I join right in and ... all bow to the plastics gods.

So I’ll say two things quickly.
None of us other than user “BoardSort” work for boardsort. We’re just sellers to them. So please don’t let us influence your options on boardsort as a whole.

And
I’m not entirely sure what the answer was to the question you first asked.
My short answer was more of a post something now than a thought out reply.

Populated boards with components range from a few cents to a dozen plus dollars. Based on metals, minerals and transitional values.
Bare blank boards are a different situation. For boardsort they generally don’t buy blanks except for two specific cases. You have one or two and you’re sending, bringing in, a bunch of other stuff. Or. You have a monstrous gargantuan Gojira sized lot and I’d suggest you call Chris by phone o discuss exactly what it is you have.

Outside of boardsort in the even more selective marketplace buying that and that alone-> it varies. You have the plastic value as you are aware. A few pennies or so, maybe a few dimes. Depending on the plastics of the material and if it has wood or paper fibre in it.
And the metal. Ignoring any components for this statement. The oldest and lowest quality boards are nothing more than a solid plastic, wood, or paper material with conductive metal tracing on the outside between holes and mount points.
Most boards have an inner layer. Low end being area coverage where small sections of thin metal are connected with conductive tracing. Where the majority of minders post-70s boards will have a complete or near-so- layer across the board. Often aluminium or copper but tin, silver, nickel, and gold... all common enough.

The worst paper PCBs will basically run like junk adulterated paper. As it’s turned into news paper or toilet paper. The metals extracted but lost to the process. A hard disk controller printed and manufactured on a paper fibre board is of rather low bulk value outside of a PM dedicated recovery agent.
Plastic boards almost entirely depend on the metals of the board. The plastics being a none set of standards, pbs, pvc, abs, bppc, etc.
Metal boards start at the bare metal value.
Glass boards are generally ignored. They’re between $0.20 and $4-$5. The board is heated, components removed, and the remaining heavy-metal-based glass often is sent to iron factories as a cabin substitute.
Various crystal based glass substrates can run into the $5-$10 range.
Obviously aerospace and defence boards, primarily those from the Cold War era and from space use, on heavy gold based substrates... we’ll thousands.
But the chance of finding that last one is Bill and the chance of finding one and being legally able to sell it, less than nill.
If you find guidance controller boards from trans-orbit return flight equipment I’d suggest you turn it over to the government or walk away and forget you ever noticed it. ;)