Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

Post subject: Newbie (with questions)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:04 pm 

Hello,

Last summer I was fortunate to acquire a large amount of electronic scrap from a telecom company that just wanted rid of their equipment. I didn't have a chance until now to really start breaking things down, so I naturally have questions.

1. I started to cut the gold-bearing fingers from some of the boards, thinking that I can sell them on eBay. But now I'm not so sure that this a good idea. Is it a better idea to cut the fingers off or just leave them on?

2. I have taken the aluminum heat sink from most of the motherboards I have. Is it best to leave the heat sinks on the motherboards or is it even worth it?

3. A lot of these boards have IC chips and processors in them. I know that some people collect the processors, but what about the IC chips? I just came across a series of Galileo IC chips that go for a pretty penny new on eBay.

4. Is it worth pulling the big capacitors from circuit boards and motherboards to sell on eBay?

Keep in mind, these chips were rained on since they were sitting in a dumpster. Are they worth pulling from the circuit boards?

Sorry for these questions, but I have a ton.

Regards,

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:51 am 
Site Admin

Leave gold fingers on everything but brown board.

Boardsort wants the heatsincs off. Sell them separate... to Boardsort or locally

Removing chips downgrades boards. That said... use your head. As well as eBay and Google. The old computer museum is also a good source. If it's old and you can CLEANLY remove them some go for some fair money. Expect $5-$50 for most prior to 1988 if you have the willingness and time to sit on them. Ics like the 4040 cpu.8088 and i640 can fetch hundreds plus. Each

Yes and no.
General i cut off anything over ½ inch or more because my local yard buys them as #3 alu at 35¢ /Lb.
Anything earlier than 95ish I'd suggest looking up. Prior to that there weren't the agreements on standards so some really odd ones out there. And they /could/ be worth something.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:03 am 

lostinlodos wrote:

General i cut off anything over ½ inch or more because my local yard buys them as #3 alu at 35¢ /Lb.

So you are saying you prefer to spend your time removing them so you can get .35 per pound vs. using that time elsewhere and getting the current mobo price?
Having said that, let me say that I'm in complete agreement with your "use your head" comment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

When looking at mid grade price... yes. Sorry should have been more clear on that.
Only takes a second. Robogrip is your friend.

It's rare to find ones that big on a mobo but leave it if you do.
; )