Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:02 pm 

Please grade these and let me know what category they would fall in.. Each one weighs 6oz and is gold on every corner and inch. The silver is solder that I still need to remove from underneath.

Thanks

Attachments:
IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 8177 times ]
IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0124.JPG [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 8177 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:05 pm 

those are a specialty item and you would have to send chris an email for those... also, depending on how many you have, you may want to find someone who could refine them for you. just a thought.

do you know what they are from?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen these pop up on ebay and hde over time. Mostly from the same three people. They are highly specialized customer controller cpus. Most were repurposed after the cold war but the type/design were from guided controll banks (originally) . (Hello US-DHS lol)
Send that photo by email to Chris and he'll have to ask his refiners about them.
Give him a little time to figure it out. I'm still waiting for a final decision on a set of platinum chips from a controller
Nice cpus!
You may also want to sit on them a while since gold spot is well under $1000 right now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:31 pm 

unless i needed the money i would sit on them too...they are like a work of art...or sell some but keep at least 1 or2 for sometime in the distant future

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Ohkay update time. I had one spectral analyzed by my jewelry refiner and he said it works out to (as is block) ... I copied from my email...

Precious Metal Alloy
Gold of 0.027 Purity

Precious Metal Alone
0.241 Troy Oz of Pure Gold
Results in US Dollars
268.86 USD

And he also said wait. There's alot of copper and nickel in them too which are both also way down as well.
I'm sitting on 12 for now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Feel free to use that for ebay. Some fool may pay you a grand each... lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:57 am 

hum i think thats by far the most valuable cpu Ive seen on here were did they come from ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:49 am 
Site Admin

Originally missle control guidance systems. (Hi again us-dhs).
Mostly repurposed into boards for satellite control ground units.
A few thousand were auctioned Off via heritage I believe a few years ago and they've been popping up on auction sites ever since.

And yes they are extremely high value. The caps aren't plated... they're heavy gold alloy ceramic chip.
There IS a ceramic base around the core but everything in the size (er girth) of the processor is this gold alloy material.
Dont replicate my stupidity but i tried gouging one of mine... just to find out how thick and it's truly solid.
I'll post pics in a few days when I get it back.

They're heavy too. Good investment stuff for sending kids to college! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:04 am 
Site Admin

Ohkay.further updates
the two posted Here are sparc64v from HAL computers
manufacturing fab Was Hitachi.
Date is 2004

This One is from an automated laser tracking system.

The one i had tested was a sparc64+ D from 1988. No idea what the + or D indicate.

If the fab specs are right the cps in this line changed very little from the original till now other than a slightly reduced amount of external weight to compensate the larger two layers in the core.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:21 am 
Site Admin

evilrick81 wrote:
hum i think thats by far the most valuable cpu Ive seen on here were did they come from ?

I believe in 15+ years of old (now archaic bordering on prehistoric) repair work the only cpus I've seen at a higher scrap rate are prototype 8008s in solid gold and the Project 300 (aka Sparta from the 60s film) that was designed by Microsoft and produced by IBM for Microsoft's premise of building a joint everything computer with IBM.
(For the comp history buffs that's the same project that gave us the IBM pc portable office luggable and OS/2).
Weight value is 2000+ (2ozs gold) and the only chip ever made sold for a few million to the same guy in Australia who bought the signed wooden box apple in 2009.
The 8008s still fetch close to 500 doa.

So you're right and asking a grand may not be unrealistic given there's only a few thousand of these out there.

Not my choice for sending for scrap for sure.