Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

Post subject: Gold Pins
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:04 pm 

I've been harvesting a lot of "gold" pin connectors off of these electronic boards, but last night I got to thinking... is there such a thing as brass pin connectors, and how would I easily be able to tell what could be good to keep or just worthless?

Post subject: Re: Gold Pins
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:23 am 
Site Admin

kandksalvage wrote:
I've been harvesting a lot of "gold" pin connectors off of these electronic boards, but last night I got to thinking... is there such a thing as brass pin connectors, and how would I easily be able to tell what could be good to keep or just worthless?

If you are taking the ends from computer gear, then I would not expect to find too many brass connections. If it looks like it is gold colored, chances are it is lightly plated with gold.

Outside of the computer world, it really comes down to having a trained eye (in other words, experience) to know the difference which would be hard for me to share in the context of this message.

So in general, at least when it comes to buying connectors, we prefer them to come from computers unless it is obvious that the non-computer related item does in fact have gold plated pins.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:07 am 

Hope this is ok to post, lots of the instruments and sensors in manufacturing have high grade parts,

Attachments:
File comment: inside temp controller
LCD boards.jpg
LCD boards.jpg [ 108.82 KiB | Viewed 8894 times ]
File comment: industrial equip
IMG_20121209_181515 (2).jpg
IMG_20121209_181515 (2).jpg [ 85.16 KiB | Viewed 8894 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:56 am 
Reputable Seller

pyrite: there is a whole separate forum below this one where you can post pictures of boards you are unsure of. Myself and several others can look at them and tell you what you have. As for what you have, the boards in the first photo are all peripheral. The piece of equipment in the second photo would need to be further disassembled in order for us to accurately grade it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:59 pm 

The round one is the LCD board from the transmitter, my only point is that Allen Bradley, Rosemont and those type of controllers have well made components, those are two boards from inside also

Attachments:
pin sockets.jpg
pin sockets.jpg [ 112.74 KiB | Viewed 8869 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Peripheral grade on all of those boards except for IMG_20121209_181515 (2).jpg which as mentioned would need to be broken down more before we would know the value.