Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

Post subject: Help Grading
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:33 am 

Attachments:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 9440 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 9440 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 2.14 MiB | Viewed 9440 times ]
2 close-up.jpg
2 close-up.jpg [ 205.3 KiB | Viewed 9440 times ]
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 176.85 KiB | Viewed 9440 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help Grading
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:45 am 
Site Admin

#4 will probably go peripheral.
#3 should be ohkay for finger card. 2 ti90 ics on it. No blank space.
#2 will go telco. It's technically an old motherboard/system board. But chockablock full with ics.

#1 (last pic) is a rack mobo. Ive had those go two ways... dual socket and telco... when they are silver flashed like this one. The gold cap 286/386 with no pins will go moto/foreign if it's single sided and 486 if it's double sided.
I'm leaning towards telco because you have two 8087s soldered on there with the big i290 and a bunch of socketed ics.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:27 pm 

Thanks a lot Lostinlodos. I thought it could be just a small socket mobo since it has the gold plated socket. The other two sockets for the other chips are silver. I almost missed the Moto/Foreing Cpu since it was kind of hidden under a tiny aluminum heatsink. The Cpu has a gold cap only on one side.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:10 pm 

that pinless x186 chip should go for much more...If boardsort does not give you the '8086' classification at a minimum, think about hanging on to it... per pound those are worth about twice the x486 chips.

The caveat is if you only have a couple... then it would probably would not be worth the hassle of selling somewhere else. However, if you have a decent amount of them, I would try eBay or finding a toll refiner.

M

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

There's considerably less gold in that format cpu than the 8080x class.
Bordsort doesn't actually have a class for them but they have always given me one of those two classes.

The bright shine is the giveaway that it's a thin plating. Compared to the dark orangish tinge you see with old 8080 class chips.

Chances are some sucker will over pay on ebay but i have given up on ebaying my gold chips because something is always wrong with the orders. Ebay protects buyers over sellers. And I've lost a fair bit of money... and cpus, trying to do that.

You're going to be hard pressed to find a recycler who will pay more than the 50-60 dollar range that Motorola caps command for quad pinless 286/386 class.

186 command higher price for the double sided caps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:26 pm 

okay... those 80186/80286 processors are some of the highest yielding cpu's out there. They run about 6-7+ grams per pound... unfortunately, they are about 4-5g ea., so it takes a bunch of them to make a pound.

I know people that buy these for almost double what they pay for 386/486 and 80xx classes. This is a valuable type of chip.

If you have a decent amount of them, check Ebay... search for "80186" and check whats being sold. Individually, you can get $5+ each. If you have a bunch, DO NOT sell them unless you are getting over $100+/lb.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Two things to keep in mind, first second hand is always a better high-end potential than recycling.

Second check dates. ALL commodities metals are dropping in price. What sold in October or November for $10 is now selling for $5 or less, escrap wise.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Paper-Mon ... _nkw=80186

This fairly well covers it. The top one works out at 195 cpus for 685
3.51 per chip on ebay. With each chip at .2-.3 ounces that's

Boardsort pays $60 per pound. 70c-1.13 per chip.

They're not as expensive as you may think.

Yes there are fluke cases where some dupe paid way to much for a single cpu. $5. $6. I see a few that went for more than that. hit or miss there's some $20 scores in with hundreds of $4 sales.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80186-and-80286 ... SwNyFWeLge is active and http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-Paper-Mon ... ld=1&rt=nc shows you again that 2-5 range.
You always have a chance of scoring higher with ebay. Or lower. Or getting nothing and having your cpu claimed to be missing despite a delivery confirmation AND a signature, your paypal transaction reversed, and a knock on your seller account. All for $5. or a dupe overpaying you by $4.

If you want to go that route it's your call; I only said I don't anymore. The 75c-$2 range boardsort fluctuates in is fine for me for getting a guarantee.

Who you sell to is up to you. The questions here are about boardsort; and I gave the categories they would put them in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:53 pm 

Thanks for the info to all of you. I don't like ebay for all the obvious reasons Lostinlodos said. I have monitored some listings and for what cpu's sell on ebay and it is not worth it. I save my stuff for boardsort and avoid the hassle.

Happy Holidays.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

I went through the records of what I've sent as questionable and got finger card for ones like number 4. I left all the ics on though.