Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

Post subject: can low grade get lower?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:30 am 

Kind of a stupid question but I just started escrapping. Can low grade board be diminished in price by removing the ic chips?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:04 am 
Reputable Seller

No, what happens is that the weight of the board gets lighter, thus impacting how much you get from it. If there's something on the board that you can get more for selling separately, then by all means remove it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 am 

I thought that was how it worked. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:25 pm 

what about broken boards?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Broken boards are handled on a case-by-case basis.

If you are simply breaking a board in half in order to fit it in a box, that is usually not a problem unless is becomes obvious that the board is bring broken for other reasons (as in to remove value) then there would be a price correction.

For instance, we would not buy a Large Socket Motherboard at full price when most (or the valuable parts) of the board are missing.

But again, a simple folding (breaking) of the board for space consideration is acceptable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:55 pm 

If I were to remove all IC chips, gold and brass connectors, tantalum capacitors, and the Platinum/Palladium capacitors that I could remove without destroying from a motherboard or peripheral grade boards, would they then automatically become low grade? Also does anyone have any advice on who will buy the capacitors if Boardsort doesn't? If they do great it would make life easy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:03 pm 

Thank you, Boardsort

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

tater650 wrote:
If I were to remove all IC chips, gold and brass connectors, tantalum capacitors, and the Platinum/Palladium capacitors that I could remove without destroying from a motherboard or peripheral grade boards, would they then automatically become low grade? Also does anyone have any advice on who will buy the capacitors if Boardsort doesn't? If they do great it would make life easy.

tater650,

The board you described would be low grade AT BEST, but to be quite honest with you, we probably would pass on buying it as those are the very items that we are attempting to acquire from the boards ourselves.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:54 pm 

Boardsort wrote:
tater650 wrote:

tater650,

The board you described would be low grade AT BEST, but to be quite honest with you, we probably would pass on buying it as those are the very items that we are attempting to acquire from the boards ourselves.

Hi, I'm new to Board, but old to recycling. In my current area in Texas, the Scrap yard only pays $0.15 per lb for the green boards only. They don't buy some mid grade boards, or any low grade. If its brown, or from a CRT, i have to find another place to buy them. And the price is the same on your website for low grade boards. I read another post on here about stripping high grade and mid grade boards of the Components. Are there components on the low grade CRT, TV, VCR, Misc. Also i was wondering how to tell Tantalum Caps from normal ones, and what they would pay? I also have these Power Supply boards, i broke down for the copper, brass, and aluminum, is there any components or value left in them to your company? I added a couple of picks to see the boards better. Power supply before, after, and pile.

Attachments:
20140418_160921[1].jpg
20140418_160921[1].jpg [ 3.7 MiB | Viewed 18050 times ]
20140418_160900[1].jpg
20140418_160900[1].jpg [ 3.75 MiB | Viewed 18050 times ]
Board Remains.jpg
Board Remains.jpg [ 4.12 MiB | Viewed 18051 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:32 am 
Reputable Seller

The question to ask yourself is if 0.15/pound going to cover the cost of shipping from where you live to Cleveland, Ohio, yet leave enough for profit.