Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:44 pm 

What do I do with these. I've been stashing them when I find them but not sure if people will buy them or if they just get recycled?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

Boardsort only takes hard shell LiOn batteries.

For other hard shells with gold nickel or silver contracts there is a small market and they run 20c-$1 per pound.

For soft packs the ends with the plug connector will be gold silver nickel or brass. The wires are obviously wire.
The batteries themselves hold value but buyers are rare and well dispersed.

Rates run from under 10c per pound for nicad to about 30-40c/lb for nimh and lion.

AlMgO batteries tend to go aluminium heavy breakage running 10-15c

Mercury batteries are highly regulated but are also quite valuable and run $4-$4.50/lb.

AgO (silver buttons) batteries are 30c-$7 per pound try a watch/jewelry shop for selling them

The best way to figure is that aside from lead acid and silver...
Dry cells will be a few pennies -$1/lb
Wet cells will be 50c-$10 /lb

Watch out for boron containing batteries, about 20 states prohibited purchase or sale of boronic oxide and mercury batteries.
they're mostly found in pre-1980 equipment and were totally banned for consumer equipment after 1998.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:19 pm 

Actually. Now that u mention it. I was wondering about silver button batteries a little. I know generally what they look like but how can you tell the difference between them and other buttons? are they ever on mobos or are those buttons always li-ion?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:23 pm 

As of right now I have all my button batteries in the same big container. Not sure which is which. Or how to separate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

watch battery buyers has been my go to for silver cells.

battery butter is a good starting place to figure out names and codes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

Stupidity and fraud aside; the only time you'll comeacross coin sized silver batteries is in kit computers from late 70s-mid 80s.
Think apple, apple //, tandy tc, Texas instruments ti 90 or 900. Etc.
They were all sourced from Zenith and have a big Z stamp. If it's still installed and has a charge it's a fake/remake.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:03 am 

thanks good site

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:58 am 
Site Admin

Those coin sized silver batteries, if the computer ran at least once a day EVERY day since 197X there is the most remote possibility of it being on the original battery….
In all realities its a fake.
I have my uncle's Apple (original in an actual Chiquita apple box), and ran it daily till 2012 on the original silver cell.
Silver oxide is really an interesting fluke. There's a bunch of Commodore computers running on their original coin sized silver cells as well.
In all actuality keeping those 1978-1981 production zenith ago batteries working... it's a matter of love for the specific computer it's in. Most in the absolutely best case of scenarios and possibilities would have died by 2010 or earlier. Mine was a late production replacement. And took 2 days of conditioning to get it to hold a charge.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:08 am 
Site Admin

If you have one and you're really stumped try searching the id plus the terms following...!
For super thin try
Flat. Skinny. Anorexic
for the taller/thicker ones
Try fat plump tall and "double stack"

Worst case post the number AND picture in a new thread in the general discussion thread...
And I'll get back to you within 5-7 days. I have multiple proprietary database systems dating back to 1957. If I can't find a part number's info (batteries or anything for that matter) it's a fake or a reproduction. And even those I generally have an apendex for.