Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:55 pm 

Does boardsort buy glass hard drive platters? Or are they strictly buying aluminum ones?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Email Chris directly with a photo. Some the don't some they do. Generally not though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:31 pm 

I'll email him and find out, would make sense if they did, as I would think they are buying them for the PM content and not just aluminum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:57 am 

Actually they only buy them for aluminum scrap.... The amount of platinum on the platters is so tiny that it isn't economically worth refining.

In fact if you look at their extended price sheet, they pay less for the platters than they do for clean scrap aluminum.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

The pm value works out to a few pennies on aluminium platters with that platinum layer. There's very little pm value.
My discussions with some large scrap yards is that the actually put them in Al#2 for being adulterated. As it's not worth the recovery.
At least boardsort ia getting it recovered so it doesn't end up wasted 'slag' in a steel furnace.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Gold on glass Is worth a fair bit because of the thickness. Chris doesn't normaly buy them bit some yards and jewelry shops do. Expect 50¢-$2 depending on age .
and palladium on glass is so thin it's more tricky. Ive had them buy such from me but it was a already here sort of thing and was just a few pennies. I spent more on the sheet of bubble wrap than I got for it. :(
That said glass is any melted earthen material in a restructured crystalline state and many old glass platters have silver or nickel (among others) as a a base component in the glass. Which falls onto another category Again. and worth more than standard hdd platters, but boardsort usually doesn't deal with them.
So again best to wait for a reply from your email.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:30 pm 

Thought I'd post back, heard back from Chris, they buy glass hard drive platters, but for only 20 cents a pound, will look locally for a refiner for them

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:28 am 

I sell all my platter's local, the yard buy's them as MLC pay's a little better than #2 Al.