Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

Post subject: Where to drop off?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:07 am 

I've been browsing thru the forums here and I'm seeing quite a few references to the Cleveland/Northern Ohio area, so I'm hoping someone can help me...at least point me in the right direction.

In short, I'm looking for someplace where I can drop off/cash in a couple of mini-van loads of e-scrap...particularly monitors. There's a few older computers left (mainly old XT's) and 4 or 5 boxes of keyboards and other misc items, but the bulk of it at this point is old CRT monitors. My wife and I used to run a small computer repair business back in the late 90's (Common Sense Computers Inc) and after the business went under, most of the junk we had accumulated ended up in the attic of our house. We have now moved to a new...and somewhat smaller house, so all that old stuff needs to go.

Now I know I can cash in a good deal of it at Blue Star in Elyria (although I do have to question the accuracy of the scales based on my last load), however they do NOT take monitors...and I have 26 (give or take) of various sizes and makes that I need to get rid of. Most of them are older 14" and 15" monitors (a few are older IBM PS/2 monitors), but there's a couple of 17" Sony's and 1 (rather massive) Radius as well. I'm not greedy, however I would like to get some cash out of these...if it comes down to Lorain County Recycling, then I'll simply toss them out of the curb for trash day instead of loading the danged things.

Before anyone gets into the whole "parting it out" idea here, please understand that's -NOT- going to happen. My wife and I are in the middle of a move...we're moving into a new house and selling our old house, so I have neither the time, energy or desire to sit there and tear apart a bunch of old computer monitors to separate the components. Likewise, please know that I am NOT a business...I'm 1 guy trying to clean out his old house so I can sell it. As such, I'm NOT looking for business pickup and I'm NOT looking to box this stuff up to ship it anywhere or anything else of that nature. I've already got the crap outta the attic and I can load it all into my minivan easily enough...just need someplace to drop it off that will give me a bit of money to make it worth my while....26 computer monitors have got to be worth something in scrap value.

So, to sum that up, basically I'm looking to load up my minivan (with computer monitors) and need someplace where I can drive in, get the stuff weighed and maybe walk away with a few bucks in my pocket for the effort.

I'm grateful for any suggestions here...thanks!

Post subject: Re: Where to drop off?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:44 am 

CRT monitors are pretty hazardous to recycle... You are not going to find anywhere that give you money for them... in fact, almost all places will charge you to take them. And depending on who picks up your trash, they may not take them from the curb side.

The best thing I can recommend for those is to check with your municipality to see if they have an electronics disposal collection... or if not, how to properly dispose of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

The shot answer is there's very few places who will buy a whole monitor as scrap. Much misinformation still lingers at even the government levels on what is and is not dangerous.
Easiest thing to do is call your town/village and ask where the closest hazmat location is. Where you should be able to dump them for free.

If that's not an option... taking them apart is the least troublesome route. And every part can be sold as scrap.
There are two issues with that.
1) a capacitor from hell... 10s of thousands of volts, massave amperage, and self charging (like microwave ovens), which Need to be PROPERLY shorted out.

2) phosphorus, on it's own of little concern but care is needed if you go "all the way" and break down and recycle the glass array. You can carefully remove everything outside of the glass with no issue once you short the cap. Some larger yards wilk buy the glass solid, most large ones will buy the glass in pieces or sheets. Pulling the tube/gun itself it's got many precious metals in it to sell for refining. You'd have to properly dispose of (or sell) the phosphorus though. Not something you want to breath.

In the coming weeks I'll do a full breakdown of a a tube monitor, properly, as soon as I find one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:18 pm 

Again, NOT going to break them down...do NOT have time...and I'm not going to go to the trouble of hauling them somewhere if I'm not going to make any money off them.

Guess they go to the curb...thanks anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

My comment was general info for everyone. Since this has come up before.

Again as mls said as well best option in your case is call town hall and ask. Tell them your moving and have this stuff and what to do with it. You won't find a buyer whole. Most companies charge and scrap yards want them parted out.
If you shoot me an email with your zip code I'll look into it directly for you. Make the calls and also ask anyone in my bbs thread and web ring in that area if they are interested or know a place.

Same User. I'm at gmail.
Subject boardsort question

Average crt computer monitor.(16inch) has a scrp value of about $5 and take about 30 minutes to disassemble safely and properly. ($10/hr).
Re:lucas01230 below... I used to buy them from Goodwill et al at 25¢-50¢ each but they no longer take them in. :'(
Gonna have to find one on the side of the road.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:55 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
In the coming weeks I'll do a full breakdown of a a tube monitor, properly, as soon as I find one.

shouldn't be too difficult to find one.

OP, i have not heard of anyone taking any money for them. If you have any unordinary items you can post them on craigslist, heck, even post the whole collection on craigslist, Some scrapper could potentially buy them. It might be a low price but a smart scrapper would understand that there is much value in these things if broken down properly. ----->lostinlodos

The craigslist(or similar) route is not as time consuming as breaking it down. But you might have to sacrifice the 'pickup' restriction. Post good pictures. And at least you could get some money out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

The Craig's list ebay route is not a bad idea, though some people don't want to post their address (CL) or wait for a pickup (eBay). And op did say they were moving so the fastest route would be pick up the phone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:53 pm 

Lomitus,

How many of those old PS/2 monitors do you have? Asking because I'll be making a trip to CLE pretty soon for a drop-off and certainly wouldn't mind a couple of those for my vintage collection as long as they're working units. Certainly wouldn't mind tossing you a few bucks each for them. They would make some of my vintage systems complete and I wouldn't have to pay $60 in shipping for an eBay find.

Thanks!