Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

Post subject: CPU pay question.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:07 am 

When sorting out a computer always save the cpu separate from the motherboard right? I'll do 10-15 at a time sometimes laptops too and they range from old big ones to early 2000's. I only got about $40 for 40 cpu's once and they ranged from fibers and metal backs to pinless gold and ceramic w/pin golds...it was $1 a piece or less is that about right?

Post subject: Re: CPU pay question.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:40 am 
Site Admin

As long as the cpu (or controller coprocessor etc) is socketd and has pins you should always keep it separate. The only case i found leaving cpus ON the board was telco class server (coprocessing) boards using pinless (lga) ics. Where the weight value of cpus was lower than the weight value of the telco board. But values fluctuate so keep an eye. When pinless is lower than telco leave lga chips in the board.

As far as value, ceramic full size chips (386dx -Pentium era) average between 1oz and 4 ounces)
Standard size (isa) 802xx and pre dx 80386 chips are apx 3-5 chips per ounce.
40xxx and 44xxx cpus are 6-8 per ounce), that's the 8086 class cpus.
Black fibre cpus are about ½-1 oz each. Green fibre chips are all over the weight scale. From ⅛ oz up to 5+ozs.

The common exceptions are sparc, sparc II, and original sparc 64, all with pins are Motorola /foreign gold cap cps and are 7-10 ozs each.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:40 am 
Site Admin

And an aside
The nonsense about Pentium pro cpus aside.
The true holy Grail of CPU refining... Motorola 62xxx and 1842xxchips. They are three to six inches long. ½—1 inch wide. they weigh 6oz (w/o cap) to 10oz (full length gold cap, embedded) with full cap they're 8086 class partial (or two) caps are 486 class.
But finding an authentic 62 in the wild... you're more likely to find a real pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! I've seen less than 50 while doing repair work onsite. And only ever had one to call my own. Currently in a Lucite frame in a safe box. They're worth more as a cpu than gold, and aren't worth recycling. Refined they contain nearly ¾oz gold for about $400-500. Collectors pay thousands for them.
They're found on rack boards in post 1978 mainframe computers. So if you ever get a chance for free pickings on a mainframe it's worth whatever $$$ you need to put in in equipment and labour rental to get your hands on one. Thats thousands on a single cpu alone. Even the junk is high grade classes (316 stainless steel @80+85¢/lb).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:10 am 

Wow thanks for all that. I wouldn't try refining. At least not for now because I know you have to be set up properly and have a lot to start with in order for it to be worth it in large gains.

Anybody mind telling me if it's best to remove heats spreader/thermal dissipaters & fans from gold finger cards or peripheral card/boards with metal bracket? They should be taken off if possible so maybe the piece goes into a better grade correct?

What I do is take a comp apart (if it's obsolete or basic) and separate the cards & peripherals but I've stopped taking heat sinks and fans off of small board/card and I've also stopped taking cpu's out of the sockets.

I still take the large fans and heat sinks off the motherboards though. I can drive to drop off if that's matters as far as anybody kicking me some more knowledge. I feel like I'm doing some things best but there's always more to learn.

I added pics of the types of boards/cards I'm asking about. Is it worth removing the small transformers/fans/heat sinks?

Attachments:
14656589947751052025619.jpg
14656589947751052025619.jpg [ 752.33 KiB | Viewed 7527 times ]
14656588556531052025619.jpg
14656588556531052025619.jpg [ 708.51 KiB | Viewed 7527 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:45 am 

I just read some about leaving tiny chip sized heat sinks on is ok. These coolers are small but bigger than chips. I bet I need to take any cooler, TRANSFORMER & FAN off bigger than a chip off to get the best grade. I don't want to lose weight where I don't need to though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Most of those heat sinks need to come off, anything larger area than the chip it's attached to (over sized). All fans always need to be removed regardless of size.
99.9% of the time you're best removing the cpu.
The only 3 cases for leaving a cpu on the board are
1)Telco boards with lga (pinless) Ic chips.

2) ancient motherboards pre early 80s. If the cpu/ic chips are silver pinned and don't have gold caps. (Almost) All pre 486 motherboards are large socket class even though the socket is a smaller square or a rectangle. Many of those boards are telco though.
3) you can't get the cpu out. Be it frozen pins, or soldered spring clips. A broken cpu is worth a fraction of the whole one. If force is required substantially just leave it alone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:33 pm 

Ok thanks that's exactly what I needed to know! I'll post the boards there's only 12 right now though.