Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:52 pm 

Worth anything if they still work and I can post up the model numbers. Want to avoid a large post on this if it's not necessary. Figuring somebody would know regardless of model #s. They come from various dells hps asus etc. Don't think any were in a tower newer than vista and xp originally..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:28 am 
Site Admin

Anything with a pl px pi or plx in the model / part number, rebranded plextor drives are worth money even when dead (but not destroyed) as long as it's whole (drive+board).
Beyond that if they work $5-$50 depending on year manufacturer etc etc.
Fastest way to find value is search ebay auctions with the advanced search ('show more' in tha app). Second, or maybe first, look up the numbers @ doom and videohelp. See if there's custom bios options. Anything with a flashable firmware hack is worth something.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 am 

That's what I'm talkin bout! Helpful answer. Unfortunately none have those characters. They all work and I was letting a guy cherry pick parts from my towers when I get 15 at a time. He was all over these cdrw/dvd drives out of dells offering $15 a piece cause he said that's the price online if you even find them. I sold him some straight to desktop pc's, rare cords and 7 flat monitors. He didn't take out the drives but total I only asked for $50...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

When tiger computers shuttered their retail stores a few friends and I bought the various cart boxes (quarter gaylord) of msc junk at scrap weight. Boxes of cables @40c/lb. Drives with mounts @25c. The dell, IBM, and Lenovo stuff was all I could move online at any real profit.
Plextor drives are the most sought drives in the world. Period. The boards are not signed or locked in any way so the drives are reprogrammable. They make great replacements for computer home brew for video game systems because they can be set to read AND BURN burst codes.
Independent film companies like Toe Tag, Something Weird, Alpha, and Amazon Disc on Demand, use them to create DVD discs with hardware protections like bad sector protection, on DVD±r media.
The rest of the dell (and other) dvd/cd drives have a spread from a few dollars to around 50-75 on the very high end.
Dell power cables and older hp bricks (2 and 4 wire cables {figure 8 and square}, not three {triangle}) get decent rates.