Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:54 pm 

I'm getting a load of boxes ready for boardsort and since I have never sold to you guys before, I have a question regarding cleaning and such.....

The hard drive enclosure on a laptop.......see below

are these considered "excess steel"? Are there any general guidelines as to what can stay on a board and what needs to get cleaned off. Batteries I know....... Sometimes I come across a laptop board that has a metal bracket like what you might find on a finger card..... stuff like that

The end of the enclosure with the tiny piece of board and gold connectors.... what pile can I toss that in?

Thanks for the input.

Attachments:
LaptopHardDriveEnclosure.JPG
LaptopHardDriveEnclosure.JPG [ 986.59 KiB | Viewed 4979 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Yes please remove the drive rack.
You can leave brackets on boards as long as they are brackets and not trays; trays the size of the whole board should be removed. Heatsinks the size of the chip it is cooling or smaller can stay anything larger than the chip underneath must go. Any fans must go as well. Sockets with a metal cpu holder or metal top screw heatsink bracket (without the cpu heatsink) go as metal socket mother board. Rear mounting brackets (giant steel or copper/al square or circle metal piece screwed in to the back of the board) must go.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

End piece. I'm not entirely sure what you're referencing but if you mean the socket adaptor it will either be backplane (double stack or triple stack board) or gold connector (single port or all steel ports) .
The gold edge flashing on the drive bay I usually cut the thin strips off an put them in with gold pins and recycle the rest Of it in my clean steel shread.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:44 pm 

Thank you kindly! :)