Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

Post subject: SHIPPING QUESTIONS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:10 am 

Hi Forum

I live in California and I will be doing business with Boardsort. Boardsort offers the best prices in the country. However, due to the cost of shipping due to the distance I can only send items that are more than ten dollars a pound. Long story short, I am not able to ship items like mother boards, gold fingered cards and so since I will be paying per pound.

Any advice about how to ship Motherboards and gold fingered cards at a low cost?

thanks a lot

Post subject: Re: SHIPPING QUESTIONS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:39 pm 

im still new to this myself however there are a few things that come to mind

1..flat rate boxes [best choice]
2..Dissecting the boards selling what you can off the boards[some money is better than no money] example... gold fingered cards can have the fingers trimmed of for high rate of pay versus low weight..

3.perhaps you can go in with someone else. who might be in your area..

4 perhaps theres some else in California that has already solved this problem and is willing to reply here with an answer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:44 am 

As someone who's main business involves shipping 1000's of packages nationally each year I have some pointers for you.

On less dense items such as motherboards postal flat rate will not give you the best bang for your buck. I doubt you could even fit enough of that material in a box to cover the shipping costs and their standard (by weight, parcel post) fees are high.

FedEx is the most economical solution if you set up an account to print labels from your home computer, pre pay with a credit card. You are also going to want to drop off these boxes at a location as close to their distribution hub as possible. Make sure you use the drop off location zip code when setting up your labels. The purpose of these steps is to avoid the pick up charges (around $8 a box) and eliminate as much of the fuel surcharge fee as possible by getting it as close to its destination as possible.

Your magic weight number on each box is 68 pounds as here's why: At 70 pounds or more they tack on an additional $10 fee for being "overweight". The more important reason for that magical 68 pounds is because the destination of your package accounts for more of the shipping price than the actual weight. To illustrate what I mean here are two examples I quoted out before typing this. Quote assumes shipping from LA to Boardsort:

20LB package $22.35 (about $1.12/LB shipping cost)
68LB package $54.15 (about $.80/LB shipping cost)

In this example you put $0.32 per pound back in your pocket using the magic weight. That's 17% more money to you if shipping small socket boards!

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:14 pm 

Thanks for the advice MetalManJason and EvilRick81. I have a small volume of scrap however I have the room so I will be accumulating the stuff as people give me their old electronics.

best,

Jason

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

That is great information metalmanjason, thank you for sharing your insight!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:19 pm 

I have been looking at the same problem. I just got a quote for UPS 40 lbs of mother board $68. I'm in the bay area. But still collecting, may be once a year ship a pallet.

Last edited by bowlbug on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:44 am 

Get a quote from FedEx. They are much cheaper when delivering to a commercial address such as Boardsort. Residential address rates are almost identical for UPS and FedEx though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:01 am 

I just had UPS misdirect and then try to charge me for sending to wrong city talking to Fedex now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:02 pm 

I'm in Cali too, trying to figure out my best method. I like fedex idea....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:24 am 

By far the cheapest way to go would be to save up enough material to fill a pallet. When I say fill a pallet, I mean by stacking boxes until the load is approx. 4 feet high. You would do this at home then tear it down, load up boxes, pallet and shrink wrap then drive to the trucking company hub of your choice and rebuild the pallet on their dock. In this scenario density is everything. You want as many pounds per cubic foot as you can get.