Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

Post subject: Grading guide
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:04 pm 

Lost, really anyone;

Is there any sort of guide or information on grading boards out there? I know Borad Sort has a basic picture guide and then there is the ID forum, which both have helped a lot. I just feel like I'm mis-grading way to many boards and it could cost me $$$ in the long run. Some of the boards I think are gold finger boards end up being peripheral and some of what I think is peripheral ends up being back planes, gold finger cards, telco. I think some of them I thought were back planes were large socket MB. I know experience has a lot to do with it and when it comes to electronics I know very, very little. I know what the basic parts of a computer is but that's abou it. As far as different metals I'm pretty good on your basics (aluminum, copper, brass, stainless steel, lead and tin) I'm not sure I would know nickel when I seen it and sure wouldn't know the more exotic metals.

Thanks for all the help.

Post subject: Re: Grading guide
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:32 am 
Site Admin

The best thing for metal recycling, and general recycling is the DOD guide; which I'm still trying to figure out if I can legally repost or not.
It's outdated by a few years but the general discriptions are solid and the testing methods work.
It's also beyond long at a few thousand pages and covers every alloy you'll never see plus plastic testing and sorting, wood, glass cloth ...!

The only definitive answer I have is no two companies, nor two employees at a single company, will grade everything the same.

I'll lean a bit harder for an answer though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:40 pm 

Ohh ok so there isn't a hard fast rule to grading boards. I will see if I can find a copy of the DOD guide.

Thanks for everything.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

The basics are listed in the gallery; the not so basics in the forum threads. Some out there stuff is in my what's inside posts.
Somewhere there's a nice long guide to personal entertainment and communications devices breakdowns that I did a while back
Beyond that asking here is the fastest way for answers and we'll do our best.
The dod guide is a great tool for defining and testing materials; proper sorting etc. But the tech stuff is only glossed over because the DOD either auctions off in bulk non-controlled tech, or bare board disassembles controlled technology.