Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

Post subject: Circa 1984 System Boards
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:06 pm 

I salvaged a number of system boards from an Innovative Technologies Inc. TD-1750 9-Track Data Storage System. The boards are large 14" x 10" or larger so I would like to know if I would loss any value cutting them up. I have highlight bits that I think Boardsort would want removed. The main controller board has an Aluminum heat sink with 12 2N Type Power Transistors that I'm not sure how to remove unless I cut it off the board. It was a real interesting salvage, it appeared to be hand assembled in the Silicon Valley, all the board say "Made in the USA". I've included part and serial numbers where available. When new these suckers weren't cheap, I found an old article announcing its release in 1984 starting at around $10,000.

Attachments:
File comment: TD - 1750 Main Controller Board
TD-1750MainController.jpg
TD-1750MainController.jpg [ 857.48 KiB | Viewed 3730 times ]
File comment: Univac Disk Controller Formatter Board
UnivacDiskControllerFormatterBoard.jpg
UnivacDiskControllerFormatterBoard.jpg [ 288.63 KiB | Viewed 3730 times ]
File comment: Univac Channel Board
UnivacChannelBoard.jpg
UnivacChannelBoard.jpg [ 228.01 KiB | Viewed 3730 times ]
File comment: Mag Tape Controller M952
MagTapeControllerM952.jpg
MagTapeControllerM952.jpg [ 317.09 KiB | Viewed 3730 times ]
File comment: Emulation Processor Board
EmulattionProcessorBoard.jpg
EmulattionProcessorBoard.jpg [ 266.83 KiB | Viewed 3730 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

The main board will go as peripheral or large socket depending on the type and quantity of actual CPUs and controllers used.

Rest is telco.

Don't worry about pulling soldered and riveted stuff. If the fuses are socketed though I'd pull them they're usually a silver nickel tungsten fuse with silver nickel caps on the ends at that age and are worth around $7-10 per lb as scrap. If soldered they're almost certainly nickel caps and worth about the same as the peripheral rate for the boards.

Nice pick!

Ps your question about cutting you're ok snapping them in half but I wouldn't go for quarters or smaller.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:40 pm 

Thank you. I played around with the idea of restoring the system. It came with its own 7' rack. I even found a service manual for the system (it appears to be scanned from hard copy) but a quick look through it convinced me otherwise. In case anyone is interested and as a bit of a thank you I maybe able to send interested people a copy (it's a 10 Mb PDF file - it can't be posted to the boards); an interesting look at IT history.

Innovative Data Technology
TDF 4050 Tape Formatter Operations Manual
For 1050/ 1750 Series 1/2", 7 & 9 track tape transports

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

A lot of the stuff in these systems worked because the techs just routed around problems with new traces and fancy re coding. They're a nightmare to keep running in this era. The parts are non existent and even when you find them you scratch your head at what the last guy/gal did!

Your boards look unadulterated but looks can be deceiving. And finding the faults usual comes down to spiking individual paths till you find a dead link and fixing or replacing that part.
That said as scrap; they're heavy and have a decent payout.