Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

Post subject: SEND IN YOUR RAM!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:59 pm 

Look at that price jump! Send it in, folks! I recently sent in 225+ pounds at $12.50... shoulda waited a couple weeks... foiled again, lol.

Attachments:
DAAYYYUUUUMMMMMM!!!.JPG
DAAYYYUUUUMMMMMM!!!.JPG [ 63.42 KiB | Viewed 12475 times ]

Post subject: Re: SEND IN YOUR RAM!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Lol. Last major batch I sent it was 9 something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:03 pm 

What drives e-scrap prices? I thought it was PM? I heard gold was down like $3.00 and silver was down $0.15 today.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:44 am 
Site Admin

Gold is down a bit but oil went up a smidge as did silver copper is up. Nickel is up. What drives prices is a much long series of answers than I'm going to do at the moment but the economics 101 reply is
Everything and nothing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Let me be a bit more thorough here.
First the commodity prices you see are for paper gold. Not physical gold. By the time paper gold is traded for physical gold the price is often very different.
Second those per ounce rates aren't actually for an ounce but the dividend of one Troy ounce per Troy pound. Yep confusing. It gets worse!
While the newspaper is posting the (paper) commodity price the ticker running on business tv and the web is for the trades (virtual) price. Neither of which is the conversion price which is what you get when you trade virtual for paper.
Still with me?
All 3 of those are separate from the actual physical exchange rate which is what you get in actual gold in person at a metals and materials exchange.
And that, still, is lower than the public exchange which is what I pay you for that physical gold in person which would be higher than if you sent it to me by mail.

Now keep in mind that's just gold . All traded metal is like that. Copper, silver, platinum, iron, etc.
Other metals are not market traded in commodities markets but do have service level trading. These are refined steel, aluminium, iridium, etc.
With scrap we have other items of interest
Various plastics. Wood fibre and pulp. Non metallic minerals, glass...!
All of these trade on a fluctuating scale as well.

Most of us here can never accurately predict the market. The multi-millionaires who's sole job is prediction are wrong as often as right.
So the best rate of play is to watch industry trends in electronics for good value predictions.
Samsung is dumping millions upon millions of phones into the recycling industry at the moment which will drop scrap rates a bit but Microsoft fixed the windows loop bug driving more computer sales again which pulls a need for materials to make more computers.
IBM Apple and Dell all dumped major surplus at the end of last year and scrap dropped 22% lower in march than the equivalent materials rates. Copper gold et al.
I've long ago stopped the horde dump cycle.
As I've mentioned in multiple postings here it's bad for the market to horde. Even one person can create a tiny ripple that hurts everyone down the line.
That's another discussion entirely and a bit off where you started.
Recycling is a circle not a line and as such there's little to the affect cause effect in the industry that can be prejudged.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:41 pm 

Good grief....that is confusing about metals.

As far as the scrap market I am following you. It makes sense with manufactures flooding or draining the market with material thousands of tons of material.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

rdw1121 wrote:
Good grief....that is confusing about metals.

Which is why I'm not an analyst!
;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:02 pm 

Why does the value of RAM go up, but not the value of chips? Do you think everything will be going up soon as well?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

For one thing the value on ram includes more then just the memory modules. You have the gold sandwich board. The gold fingers. All those tiny silver contacts matching the board to the nickel pins...

If you look at the last 18 months bare IC chips other than CPUs have been fairly stable. Gold silver and copper went all over the place the last 18 months but the principal valuations for IC chips are elsewhere. Selenium iridium palladium nickel etc. Platinums and rare earths never moved more than a few percentage points where gold was seeing 5-15% movements and copper was all over the place. 30% down one week and 55% up the next.
IC chips aren't going to move much unless there's a sudden supply issue in rare earths or platinum group metals.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:02 pm 

Boardsort has been undervalued on RAM and other boards for a while... I believe the prices had been nearly unchanged for an extended time primarily due to the fact that they opened a second facility (in March), then moved their original facility (June), then changed their refiner (early summer, and all the headaches/logistics that come along with major changes like that.

This latest price adjustment has brought their prices up to what others in the market pay... in short, I think the real reason for the adjustment this particular time is simply competition.

I have been paying close attention to Boardsort's prices and they have not moved much at all since the beginning of the year while the price of precious and base metals have all been up in the same time period (even with the recent price drops they have all seen in the last month). It could be that they are finally getting comfortable with the new refiner too.