Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:36 pm 

They are not copper as they are silver in color underneath. But I am not sure if they are gold plated. I found these in the warehouse on a shelf. The person, they are no longer with us, saved them as she said they were gold plated.
The largest one is super heavy.

Attachments:
File comment: Back
IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG [ 3.35 MiB | Viewed 8589 times ]
File comment: Front
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG [ 3.01 MiB | Viewed 8589 times ]
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG [ 3.54 MiB | Viewed 8589 times ]
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG [ 3.33 MiB | Viewed 8589 times ]
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG [ 4.23 MiB | Viewed 8589 times ]
IMG_0191.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG [ 3.65 MiB | Viewed 8589 times ]
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG [ 2.79 MiB | Viewed 8589 times ]
IMG_0189.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG [ 3.02 MiB | Viewed 8589 times ]
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG [ 3.4 MiB | Viewed 8589 times ]
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG [ 2.93 MiB | Viewed 8589 times ]
File comment: All of them
IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG [ 2.9 MiB | Viewed 8589 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

There's a few things to talk about here.
The first "board" is an aluminum block. The boards need to be removed from the aluminium and sent alone. They look like midgrade in my hood.

Now that that's out of the way.
W
O
W

They look like aerospace trays. Like cover plates for wire units.
If I'm accurate on that or a relationship to that field, they'll be gold plated nickel or copper plated aluminium.
We can narrow the base down easily; use a magnet. Does it stick? If so nickel, if not aluminium or silver.
You said it's heavy, is the big panel heavier than the first photo? If so and magnetic it's nickel. If not magnetic and heavier than the first photo probably silveride. An aluminium silver nickel alloy.

Will boardsort buy them. Yes. But that's, like gold pins and most aerospace equipment, something they couldn't quote out until it's accurately scanned on site with an xrf gun.
As far as shipping your probably in the size range of a priority mail large flat rate box to safe a bit of money on the weight.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:08 pm 

I have very similar gold plated casings. In my case they were the casings for a laser cavity assembly from a series of medical lasers. They were gold plated copper, though yours seem to have silver coloured screw holes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:07 am 

I have to agree, they are a WOW factor, and to think I have been seeing them just about every day for about 7 months and finally wanted to look into it.

The big panel is almost 6 pounds, none of them stick to a magnet, they are all aluminum of some type. You mentioned something about copper plated aluminum, do you think these might be that.

I do have a gold testing kit, but it is kinda tricky to use, or I just don't know if I am doing it right. After I scratch the piece on the rock and set a drop of 10K solution. How long do I wait to see results and what am I looking for?

Thank you for your help, I do get some very interesting things in.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:13 am 

flippy wrote:
I have very similar gold plated casings. In my case they were the casings for a laser cavity assembly from a series of medical lasers. They were gold plated copper, though yours seem to have silver coloured screw holes.

Some do have the silver screw holes and screws, I do wish I knew where they came from, meaning what these belonged to. The one rectangle has screws in it, I may take them out and see if it comes apart. The long rectangle piece is over 3 pounds, I get the feeling these were suppose to be used for something heavy duty, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:42 am 

nice boards!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

You say you have a test kit. If you have a 12k or 14k dilution that's your go to. Skip the stone. It's only useful for testing jewellery you aren't looking at damaging.
My method.
Grab a bottle of liquid sriracha sauce. 99c-$1.99 at the grocery store. Best acid test safety investment you'll ever make and you can eat it too!
Place a single drop of 12 or 14 dilution in the middle of the board.
If it stays put and doesn't discolour it's gold. It will eat through copper fairly quickly 10-15 seconds; you would start to see the silver colour under the drop.

When done, regardless of metal, a few drops of sriracha on your drop of acid, enough to be 3-4 times the acid amount, will totally counter act it in about 30 seconds making it safe to wipe off with a few paper towels.

What it is totally depends on where it's from.
Those are almost certainly rack covers. The panels. If they're floor or wall covers they'd be a high grade copper (clean, not an alloy), on aluminium, and you can expect to get around 50-75c per lb.

if they're from aerospace they'd be gold plated, nickel and aluminium are the common base but we've already ruled out nickel so it's probably aluminium and possibly silver. Various aluminium based silver nickel alloys abound to.
Copper is used in all above cases to block radio interference.
Gold is almost solely used in space bound equipment to block radiation.
That's not to say I've never seen gold panels in a server room but it's not normal. It's a case where someone was overly concerned of flat out didn't know what they were doing and got taken for a $$$$$ price ride.

Gold plate depends on the thickness and base metals and you've in the range of $15-$XXX per lb.
on stainless $15-$20
On aluminium clean $15-$30

On silver aluminium blends you get well into the $50-100 per lb range
On silver, your over $100 per lb.
14k mil (.058:1) is $130 -$180 per lb.22k mill can pass the $500 mark

Not to get your hopes up but regardless you're looking at money. The question is how much. DO let us know what happens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:54 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
You say you have a test kit. If you have a 12k or 14k dilution that's your go to. Skip the stone. It's only useful for testing jewellery you aren't looking at damaging.

Yes I have both the 12k and 14k, and thanks for the advice on the stone. I will place a drop on them tomorrow and see what happens.

What it is totally depends on where it's from.
Those are almost certainly rack covers. The panels. If they're floor or wall covers they'd be a high grade copper (clean, not an alloy), on aluminium, and you can expect to get around 50-75c per lb.

if they're from aerospace they'd be gold plated, nickel and aluminium are the common base but we've already ruled out nickel so it's probably aluminium and possibly silver. Various aluminium based silver nickel alloys abound to.
Copper is used in all above cases to block radio interference.
Gold is almost solely used in space bound equipment to block radiation.
That's not to say I've never seen gold panels in a server room but it's not normal. It's a case where someone was overly concerned of flat out didn't know what they were doing and got taken for a $$$$$ price ride.

The place that recycled them does Aerospace and Government Space projects if that helps. I don't want to name the place, but if you remember me from a while back emailing you about the blank gold/ceramic chips that you told me what number to scratch to be safe to sell, it is that company.

Gold plate depends on the thickness and base metals and you've in the range of $15-$XXX per lb.
on stainless $15-$20
On aluminium clean $15-$30

On silver aluminium blends you get well into the $50-100 per lb range
On silver, your over $100 per lb.
14k mil (.058:1) is $130 -$180 per lb.22k mill can pass the $500 mark

Not to get your hopes up but regardless you're looking at money. The question is how much. DO let us know what happens.

Oh boy, I better take my time with this, yes I will will you know what I come up with on the gold test. So one drop of the test solution in the middles and about 30 seconds is long enough to give a good read out right.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:56 pm 

mls26cwru wrote:
nice boards!

Thank you, and to think these were sitting collecting dust for months and months, till I finally said, what the heck let me find out what these are. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Well here's hopping for ya.
30 seconds is more than enough. If it doesn't burn through 12/14 in 30 seconds you've got gold.