Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:29 pm 

Here is a pic of the plate with a drop of 12k on it, it did nothing, no change at all. I did 14k as well and no change, but when I did 22k it changed the plating, more like changing the color, but I wiped it off fast as to not ruin the piece, so I guess 22k is too strong.

Attachments:
File comment: Drop of 12k where circle is.
IMG_0198.jpg
IMG_0198.jpg [ 2.24 MiB | Viewed 7021 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:09 am 
Site Admin

Probably 18kt then best guess.
Common tech plating.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Great score. I'd call boardsort directly. But easier, and quicker, than email.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:13 am 

Thank you for all the info, I have the other boards to check as well, but I am sure they are the same as this one.
Thank you again for all your help.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:15 am 

Oh forgot to say, my hubby said he would get these in a lot and he said he just put them with the aluminum to recycle, I can't remember if he said clip or sheet. But wow, just think so many may have been just melted down. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:06 am 

a lot of places will take something like this and treat the gold as a 'contaminate.' a gram of gold isn't worth going after when you are talking about tons of aluminum.

What you have is pretty good plating... as a general rule, the duller or more matte the gold looks, the thicker it is. When you see shiny gold plate you are actually seeing the reflective nickle under layer. gold has a tendency to migrate into some base metals, so there is almost always a nickle barrier layer to prevent it... in essence, the gold is so thin you see right through it. Once gold becomes thick enough, it starts to scatter light is such a way that it takes on a matte looking appearance.

As to the metal underneath being a silver alloy, its not likely, but not impossible. Apply a few drops of nitric acid and wait a about 15 seconds. Add a couple grains of table salt... if you see a white cloudy substance form in the drop, it contains silver. Check your spot testing solutions, one of them might be nitric (but it has to be just nitric for the test to work). Also, make sure you do this outside or in a well ventilated area and avoid any fumes... there should not me much from a couple drops, but better to err on the safe side. This should work for high silver content alloys, but you could have problems detecting low content alloys.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:21 am 
Site Admin

I'm thinking, guessing.
But 18k mil (the weight) on al-cu bond (explaining the discolouration not being lighter) will probably be a few dozen mil (the measurement) thick.
Need to get the slide rulers out now to figure weights, which will take a few hours.
But my initial wild wild poke at a guess would put you in the 25-50 dollar range per pound. It depends on if you subtract aluminium and copper from a gold rate or add the value of gold to aluminium and copper.
It doesn't appear to be thick enough to be space bound so I'm guessing tech for aircraft.
5mil 18k on steel at 1/10th is $8-12 right now (rack pegs)
But you look at Chris's gold finger rate... and that's on a zero value base, plastic.
We know we're below the 18k mil rate which is $77.94 as if 10:18 cdt.
And above Al spun base which is 92c a pound.

It's definitely not aluminium sheet rate at 34c. (Ouch).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:20 pm 

Oh boy it just keeps getting better, here is a photo of the piece that was in IMG 0190 taken apart. This is such a pretty piece.

I did more tests, I believe this all is 14k, now that I had time to really look, the 18k was leaving a stain so I am guessing the solution was a bit strong, but 14k left nothing, it was like looking through a drop of water.

Attachments:
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG [ 2.34 MiB | Viewed 7002 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:43 pm 

mls26cwru wrote:
a lot of places will take something like this and treat the gold as a 'contaminate.' a gram of gold isn't worth going after when you are talking about tons of aluminum.

That is what I am thinking of the BIG board, it is very heavy and someone may not want to try and retrieve the gold from it. As for the other boards, they are pretty light, the one I took apart is about 2 pounds total.

What you have is pretty good plating... as a general rule, the duller or more matte the gold looks, the thicker it is. When you see shiny gold plate you are actually seeing the reflective nickle under layer. gold has a tendency to migrate into some base metals, so there is almost always a nickle barrier layer to prevent it... in essence, the gold is so thin you see right through it. Once gold becomes thick enough, it starts to scatter light is such a way that it takes on a matte looking appearance.

This is very dull so that is good as it may be a thicker plate, that is a nice plus

As to the metal underneath being a silver alloy, its not likely, but not impossible. Apply a few drops of nitric acid and wait a about 15 seconds. Add a couple grains of table salt... if you see a white cloudy substance form in the drop, it contains silver. Check your spot testing solutions, one of them might be nitric (but it has to be just nitric for the test to work). Also, make sure you do this outside or in a well ventilated area and avoid any fumes... there should not me much from a couple drops, but better to err on the safe side. This should work for high silver content alloys, but you could have problems detecting low content alloys.

I do not think it is a Silver at all, I believe it is an aluminum base alloy, either clip (6063) for the flat ones or extruded for the molded ones. I do have Silver solution but I am not sure it is good anymore, it is kinda a dark brown color.