Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

Post subject: Front loading washer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:26 am 

I pulled a front loading washer down the alley tonight and was wondering if it's worth it to take it apart or sell it as is. I know there are motors and wire inside but wasn't sure if it was worth the time.

Post subject: Re: Front loading washer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:40 am 
Site Admin

Depends on the brand, age, condition,
And your ability to test and verify the technology involved .
Fully working 100% a washer, front or top load, part by part can get you many hundreds of times the whole unit price in individual parts.

When the cycle controller rom on our kenmore top loader died we got a new board off ebay for $130 and I sold the faulty but generally working and reparable one for $60. Sears wanted more than $500 for a replacement!

From a (best scenario) scrap yard scenario a front loader with its extra aluminium will fetch between $20 and $50 in scrap value depending on age, brand, options, features; and your yard's or yards' ability and willingness to buy components.
Totally dead no hope of recovery (fire/flood salvaged) I've done best with Samsung, lg, and Mitsubishi; at over $50 total in purely scraped (and stripped bare boards and all). Worst on maytag and kenmore; at around $15.

If you can test, part out, and repair have at it. A $200 washing machine can fetch you over $500 for parts.
If it's purely a scrap issue post a brand and model number (and photo if possible for verification) and I can give you a general scrap range.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:13 am 
Site Admin

Keep in mind a non-rusted stainless or aluminium drum will get you $20+ on ebay
Working motors run $25 or so
Working controller boards (the touch panel) start at $75 and quickly climb to mid 3-digit numbers
The external housing clean and rust free will get you around $50 for all the panels combined

You're belts run $10-25 each on the low end if solid and not stretched.
Heck a full set of screws from this or that section can grab $5-$10 despite the identical matching generics being 10c each at Home Depot!
People like to match exacts; myself included. Knowing the 5 screws came from that specific kenmore washer's door is worth the premium over spending 30-45 minutes in multiple drawers at hd or lowes matching length width and cut pitch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:00 pm 

Here are a few picks. This is how I find it.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 741.97 KiB | Viewed 11443 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 912.85 KiB | Viewed 11443 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 11443 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 11443 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Someone already snagged the most expensive parts, the controller boards.
But totally scrapped at this point you're probably looking at around $15.
If you have the tools I'd say go for it. May take around half an hour.
Definitely worth more in scrap apart than whole.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

And taught belts should be carefully removed and recorded. You can ebay them for $5-$10 or more on the low end. And as I said matched screw sets will get you a few dollars. (Eg 4 screws from (brand) washer door/base/feet/motor) etc.

I was shocked to find $10-20 sets of screws WITH BIDS when we went looking for parts for ours!
Then again mr repair man on ebay is going to resell them to the service customer for $50 so you see how it makes sense.

That glass door is worth a fair bit too! Just make sure you take it loose to a ups store of Fedex office and pay the fee to let them pack it. Which puts them on the hook for damages not you.
Not sure selling the drum itself is worth it because getting it from a to b in one piece without dents and damage may be difficult.
Also if the coupling for the wires is still there.... it's a gang of short wires strapped together each with connectors on both ends. A full coupling harness can get $50+ or a dollar as scrap harness.

I can't tell for sure but given the light reflection I'm guessing the drum is an L or LR type stainless, which adds a lot of nickel and chrome in the alloy for rust resistance. Looks bluish under incandescent light.
Do not let them tell you it's scrap shred or lt iron. Just because it sticks
L and LR steels are worth triple the base alloy rate.
I.e. 316LR is $1.60 per lb not 60 cents. 304LR should fetch over $2 per lb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:42 pm 

I've never found a front load washer on the curb for pickup, all the ones I find are top load, occasionally I'll find an HE top loader.
The majority of what I find are just regular top load washers, I full the motor, timers, switches, and the harness, the rest goes in my shred. That is unless the drum is stainless, then I pull it. The majority of the time I put my other shred stuff inside the washer drum after I load it into the truck. That way, it just needs to be either lifted off by a crane, or pushed out into the shred pile.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:54 pm 

I'm going to look into the screws on ebay. I never would've thought of that angle. As far as the door do you just mean the glass piece inside? I thought that might have some resale value. It's relaxing to take it apart, so I'm going to take apart a little here and there. When it get it better broken down I may zap pictures of other parts for suggestions. Thanks for your advice!

lostinlodos wrote:
And taught belts should be carefully removed and recorded. You can ebay them for $5-$10 or more on the low end. And as I said matched screw sets will get you a few dollars. (Eg 4 screws from (brand) washer door/base/feet/motor) etc.

I was shocked to find $10-20 sets of screws WITH BIDS when we went looking for parts for ours!
Then again mr repair man on ebay is going to resell them to the service customer for $50 so you see how it makes sense.

That glass door is worth a fair bit too! Just make sure you take it loose to a ups store of Fedex office and pay the fee to let them pack it. Which puts them on the hook for damages not you.
Not sure selling the drum itself is worth it because getting it from a to b in one piece without dents and damage may be difficult.
Also if the coupling for the wires is still there.... it's a gang of short wires strapped together each with connectors on both ends. A full coupling harness can get $50+ or a dollar as scrap harness.

I can't tell for sure but given the light reflection I'm guessing the drum is an L or LR type stainless, which adds a lot of nickel and chrome in the alloy for rust resistance. Looks bluish under incandescent light.
Do not let them tell you it's scrap shred or lt iron. Just because it sticks
L and LR steels are worth triple the base alloy rate.
I.e. 316LR is $1.60 per lb not 60 cents. 304LR should fetch over $2 per lb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

Yes just the glass. Door like drum is a bit more work than it's worth; for me but again letting a shipper do the packing for you may be worth it in the end for you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:50 pm 

I worked it apart a little more. What are these parts? Is that board something i should sell with the case on or break it down?

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 838.83 KiB | Viewed 11402 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 690.8 KiB | Viewed 11402 times ]