Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

Post subject: LCD Glass screens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:30 pm 

Anyone here know how to e-cycle/recover the gold from LCD glass screens or know where to send them for e-cycle/recovery?
After careful inspection of the LCD glass screens, I've discovered that the glass appears to be coated with a very thin layer of Gold, as well as containing some very thin Gold wiring.
Your reply is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by MrBianco on Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: LCD/LED Glass screen
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Take a look at the iRecycle app for for Apple or for Android to find someone local-ish to take them. Some may even pay for them.

Post subject: Re: LCD/LED Glass screen
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:54 am 

Thanks for the reply.

Post subject: Re: LCD Glass screen
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:10 am 

Seeing that I can't seem to find anyone to e-cycle and recover the Gold for me from 1,000 pounds of large LCD glass monitor screens. Allow me ask you all for your opinion as to whether or not there is a practical process. Does this process sound practical and might work to a any extent. ? - Grind up fine the glass screens, then furnace heat to melt the mix, and pour off the liquid glass, then further heat to refine the Gold. ?
How many grams/ounces of Gold would you guesstimate there might be in 1,000 pounds of large LCD glass screens?

Post subject: Re: LCD Glass screens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:42 am 
Site Admin

Reply requires me to read.
Lol
Be back in a few hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Ok. I’m going to totally bypass the standard warnings and simply assume you have absolutely everything you need to do this already.
Doable? Yes. Practical? Maybe.
You have enough materials to make this a possibility for a positive financial outcome.
Just not the 1-2 method you proposed. And not for going after gold alone.

First is the issue of melting. There are many valuable materials locked away in led screens. Including “rare earths” and some transition metals along with the so-called “precious metals”.
Melting everything is the difficulty. You can’t just heat it up and pull the gold. Things like tin will even nickel will melt before gold.
The idea to your approach is the same method used by refineries. The problem is you can’t just melt it. You’ll end up with what’s known in all melting processes, be it metal, glass, plastic, ore..., as slag. A molten semi-liquid goop. By the Time you’ve gotten the gold into a claimable liquid you’ve already turned the tin into gas. So there’s that kind of thinking out you have to consider.

The second major thing to look at is why go for the gold? When you get everything to the point where you can recover gold (between 3300f and 4100f•) [yes gold melts at 1948f• in ideal conditions but it’s not useful at that temperature] you can easily, and easilier, recover other materials with a better overall payout. Adding some chemical reaction methodology you could pull all sorts materials at that point.
But your past the why and into the how and how is something I can’t help with.

Value depends on so many factors I cannot begin to estimate anything.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:59 pm 

Yes, all good food for thought. Thanks for your reply seasoned with such careful consideration for what all is at stake here.

Should you, or anyone other qualified, like to pursue any of this in a shared profitable sense, in consideration of all this, please feel free to make me your best offer. At this point I'm willing to be the supplier. Supplying 1,000 pounds of the LCD glass screen material, which currently consists of sheets of all the same 46" LCD glass screens, all removed from the same manufacture's same make and model high-end commercial displays. FOB, Chicago, IL 60491.

note: For future consideration, I too agree that further consideration be made for the recovery of other precious metals and rare-earth elements, not just for the recovery of the gold alone. For starters, one of such is Indium, being one of the firsts to be recovered based on it's properties. Research and testing has discovered that the recovery of Indium from LCD screens is achievable, through a chemical process. First choice to mill and disintegrate the LCD screens to a particle size less than 75 micrometers, or about 0.003 inches, in size. Secondly, through a leaching process, it was tested possible to extract 96.4 wt.% of the indium under the following conditions: 1.0M H2SO4, 1:50 solid/liquid ratio, 90°C, 1h, and stirring at 500 rpm. Finally, precipitation of the indium with NH4OH was achieved with 99.8 wt.% at pH 7.4. The results showed that the best experimental conditions enabled extraction of 613 mg of indium/kg of LCD powder.

However, I'm neither a chemist nor a refiner qualified for any of this. Even though I've done my share of many experiments and testing along these lines, I'm not qualified, but I'm willing to share my positive results as well as past mistakes. All I have to offer could quite simply be what I have here. Hopefully, this will be enough of what you need to get you started. All I'm asking for is that you give me your best offer, and give this your best shot.
Wishing you continued success!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

MrBianco wrote:
...best experimental conditions enabled extraction of 613 mg of indium/kg of LCD powder.

Given current rates 613 mg is approximately 30 cents.
Based on 1000 lbs you are looking at 453Kg so either I did a mistake trying to all this in my head or that’s $135.90 or... I made a mistake. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:10 pm 

That sounds about right. The price of Indium is only at about $200 per kg (or for about 2.2 pounds). How much Indium that is actually in these screens is the unknown factor to me. However, because of our limited supply of Indium, it should first be recovered regardless. Easy enough to recover it would seem, seeing that if fits right in after step one of the process.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

I’m seeing a market buy spread of $220-$260 per kg. And a consumer level sell point (retail/spot) of $318 as of 5pm EST