Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

Post subject: Re: LCD Glass screens
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:24 pm 

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the "nuggets" comment

I believe I've read your warnings considering the goo, this is just my first encounter with the stuff, and for the most part worries me for those who may help me in the future,

It just blows my mind how many hundreds of these I've dissembled in the past and never encountered this then all of a sudden, boom, I didn't seek medical attention because in my experience, ( I've been treated as hazmat before, suits, neg pressure room, whole spiel, by hospitals) the "professionals" are one step from useless unless you need stitches, and even then crazy glue usually does a better job, no offense medical professionals, just every time I've sought your help in the past it's been regrettable

But now I know, and have some tough decisions to make regarding any future involvement in lcd dissembly

Also lost, I'd like to say that (as always) the knowledge you provide is immeasurably Superior to the (lack of) information available elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Personally I prefer VetBond over glue. Ignore the not for human use. Super glue is not for human use.
Instant clot for half the price. VetBond is the Same item as “artificial skin” with a different label and no extra medical use fees attached.
If you intend to use superglue I doubt the pet vs human factor is really an issue.
I only promote it because it’s cleaner. You can use a lot less. A single drop or two. I’ve sealed up to-the-bone cuts with it. Mainly because blood stains and I’d rather clean the carpet and wood before I wonder into a hospital to have someone tell me how stupid my glue use was but that it worked and don’t do it again. Lol.

My diy med kit is fairly simple:
Baking soda.
Fine ground charcoal
(Both for ingestion problems)

Hydrogen peroxide (for cleaning)
A 5th of high proof vodka (120+) (good for cleaning and drinking)
1 Litre of distilled water (for cleansing)
1 litre of purified stream water (for drinking)
1 tube VetBond (for patching)
Cloth flexible bandaids (obvious)

Potassium (green or blue) Matches. (cartariser for small surface cuts).
I used to use a hot lighter but it took too long to get hot enough and burned surrounding skin. Light and shake out the match. Apply to cut. Say ouch. If you run out of VetBond matches work in a pinch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Again I am not a doctor. If you cut your arm off and use a bulk box of matches to stop the bleeding ... just not a good idea. My methods do NOT scale well to major injuries.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:58 pm 

Sorry to reopen this case, but I just came into the possession of a number of LCDs and have had a very difficult time trying to offload them so far. Some of the responses here are over a year old at this point, but was anyone successful in getting rid of their LCDs for cash?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Try calling sell broke if the monitors/TVs are complete.
If it’s bare glass screens look up local hazmat drops. But gov regulated screens out of scrap, essentially making sure only government recyclers are able to take it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:27 am 

Thank you !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:05 pm 

Another alternative is to repurpose the LCD screens into solar panels. There are a lot of information out here on how to make a solar panel using LCD and other flat screens.