Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:58 pm 

|mod edit: moved to other recycling|

Hi All,
I won an auction from a closed materials testing facility - there was a skid of miscellaneous glass and porcelain samples - very heavy glass - they did work for Coors porcelain in Boulder - which did Shuttle work. This glass is very heavy and with different coatings - clear quartz - also had silver ribbon foil and a lot of aluminum squares of different thicknesses. Any ideas out there on where to put out feelers for this stuff? I have a lot of it on my e-bay account - but the high grade glass I'm not sure of - looks like it could be used in industrial lasers.

Thanks for any comments and suggestions!!

Attachments:
IMG_2041.jpg
IMG_2041.jpg [ 2.06 MiB | Viewed 7935 times ]
IMG_2042.jpg
IMG_2042.jpg [ 1.93 MiB | Viewed 7935 times ]
IMG_2043.jpg
IMG_2043.jpg [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 7935 times ]
IMG_2044.jpg
IMG_2044.jpg [ 1.67 MiB | Viewed 7935 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:59 am 

Nice finds?
Firstly, this forum is for e-waste, so you may not find much help with regard to this material. Although the laser part sounds cool.
I doubt this is something you necessarily want to ship either, so ebay probably isn't your best option. Especially glass stuff. The material will never arrive in one piece.
My initial thoughts: you'll have better exposure on some nationwide auction site (think GovDeals) that will have folks maybe actively looking for this type of thing. Have them bid and have them pick up. There will be some premium, keep in mind (think ebay fees) but at least you can eliminate the shipping portion of your ordeal. Ebay is great, but sucks for you if your buyer is in Djibouti.
Auxillary thought: if this came from a third party testing facility, doesn't hurt to ask around to testers in your immediate vacinity to see if they could use this stuff, they may be interested. Raw materials, especially in demand substrates and specialty materials, can be very expensive. So if you can be the guy that they can get stuff from for way cheaper, you're in.
Happy selling!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:01 am 

Tertiary thought:
Those glass substrates look like ones used by folks who do gas chromatography.
I used to work in a lab for GE and we analyzed specialty RTV.
Ask facilities with decent quality labs who may perform GC.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:00 pm 

Hi Archive,
Thanks for the testing facility reach out idea - I think that's a great one. BTW - we're neighbors / I'm in Schenectady.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:35 am 

Well, in that case, I know of a few labs in our area who may be interested, and maybe some outside of the Albany area, let me dig through my business cards of old.
I worked for a calibration lab out of Troy many years ago, and spent most of my time on the road. The contacts made during that 6 year period of my life have been invaluable now.
I spend a lot of time in Albany, maybe we can meet up.
Email me at my user name within gmail.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Your both probably right on uses. And more.
My first thought was light refiners for lasers. But that’s because I have experience and such blocks are used. Could be any number of things.

Auctions are your best bet.

My suggestion is to look through some of the eBay sponsored auctions and pull company names from industrial and scientific.
And start calling.

These companies do live, usually invite only, auctions. So you have a company that handles it for you, knows exactly what they are doing, and only brings in actual bidders from known track records interested in you lots and nearly guaranteed to pay, not shill bid or dump.

I’ve been both a bidder and supplier for these type of auctions. They usually sell really well.
They’re fast too, they post an item, take bids, and allow 30 seconds to 5 minutes of dead time before closing and item and moving on. Bidless items get reposted 1-3 times during the show.
and payouts are usually completed in a week to 10 days.

https://pages.ebay.com/live-auctions/about.html

As a side benefit: they allow buyers and sellers to negotiate post auction at sellers offer. As long as they get their fees paid in cold hard dollars, euros, etc, they don’t care.
I’ve ended up doing many trades with buyers and paying the fees myself. I got both my Atari Samantha and Commodore 65 via post auction trades.

————————
Down sides:
These houses know exactly what they’re doing and aren’t easy to control if you have different ideas.
They usually want buyers to lock escro accounts. Which isn’t good in the price range here.
They nearly always want seller platform fees up front (partly refundable).
They charge considerably more for non escrow auctions.

Up sides:
Knowledgeable selling staff knows what you have and posts it correctly.
Invite auctions guarantee the right audience.
Hands off. They do all the work from sorting, to photos, listing, shipping, taxes, everything.
Lightning fast payout vs street auctions. 7-10 days on average.
Options for hard cash, deposits, foreign currency, and usually some crypto choices.
Many more buyer payment options.