Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Shoot me an email. Thearchivebooks
I’ve got stuff I need to dump but means too much to scrap. Things that need a loving home.
Calculating equipment back to the 20s. Tech from the 60s on. And my various storage format collections. Random one-offs and prototypes. Most working or restored.

I’ve also gotten fairly competent making some of this stuff work if we could solve the distance issue. ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:27 am 

I thank all of you for your input!!! You guys have done some diggin and found information that would have taken me forever to put together. I am not the best when it comes to research. Now for the update. I took this computer to a friend of mine who I know to be VERY (or so I thought) computer savvy. The connection for the monitor had deteriorated over time to the point that it just fell apart. After he "fixed" it he had me come back over to show me what he has done. We plugged it in, fired it up, and "POOOF" the damn thing nearly caught on fire! So after patting my friend on the back and telling him what a good job he had done, I packed it up and brought it home. I tore it down. I still have the "mother board" with all the ram and the 8088 processor in tack. Didn't seem to be any damage to it at all. In fact, other than a small amount of smoke dmg, everything but the area around the connection to the monitor was still in great shape. So I sold the dual 5 1/2" floppy drives on ebay (for a nice little sum) and I still have the "mother board", keyboard, and the hard drive. I do apologize to anyone that wanted the whole Visual Commuter. It was a nice piece. I wrote this because I didn't want to leave you guys hanging. Anyways, that's where it's at. Mal.
P.S. I will locate and add pics soon. Thank you all.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Don’t blame your friend.
That’s not an uncommon experience ‘these days’ for lugables and laptops of the of the time. And early Term/workstations and AIOs.
Jolts, burn outs, and outright fire is part of the hobby.

It’s why any retro tech with experience keeps a small ABCD/-G fire extinguisher in shop.
Heavy foam with suspended: dry particle and chem-wet.
I’ve had even early Macs do the fire dance.

Ps: The g stands for halon gas and is a non registered but standard meaning.
Halon is very good to kill fire. And life. Think terminator and resident evil. Practice your emergency plan so it’s second nature. Mask before extinguish. Grab pets and kids as you exit.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:34 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
It’s why any retro tech with experience keeps a small ABCD/-G fire extinguisher in shop.

The D takes care of magnesium (and other metals...) correct?

Lots of magnesium used in laptops. I need to find a scrap yard that'll take it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

Yep!

A solid combustible
B liquids and gases
C electrical fire
D combustible metals

K (kitchen) covers burning organics.

G gas discharge (normally Halon in the US)

ABCD extinguishers cost more, but it’s worth the money as metals in computers, when they go, burn really really really hot and water or an ABC liquid extinguisher could cause an explosion.

-g extinguishers are ABCD or ABCDK with a foam or gel payload AND a suppressing gas. They’re twice the size for the same coverage. 3 or 4 times the price. And outright dangerous/deadly without reading ALL the directions prior to needing to use it.
ABCD covers most techs well. Though an ABCDK collection is really smart if you can afford it. About double the price

-g comes with their own use risks and require expertise for safe use. But will extinguish nearly any fire you can come up with by accident or on purpose. You’ll see a few in the mithbusters shows. Many firearms and explosives channels on YouTube and dailymotion also have them in shots. I had them before but there are pets in the house now.
They start at over $150 for a 15second 20 m^3 (66 ft^3) tank.
Compared with o $30-$50 for 30 second ABCDK tanks.
But…!
If you some how came up with a thermite fire (think 70s 5.25FH hard drives) -g will put it out. They also have the benefit of 5 meter spray range. Long enough to actually put out a thermite fire without a fire suit.