Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:32 am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:08 am 

This will probably reveal my ignorance of electrical theory but I need a competent opinion, a recent scrap pickup gave me around 600+ ft of 14kv underground distribution cable, 1/0 aluminum conductor, solid aluminum, a single solid extruded aluminum wire, never seen anything like it, usually when I get aluminum wire (like service entrance) each conductor is a bundle of like 7 strands, so this is unique to me, my question is

It was brand new off the spool so I stuck it in my storage and am now daydreaming about using it, but can I use this type wire to run 220v? I've tried checking the ampacity for this size conductor but I can't find an explanation for how voltage affects ampacity, I know for 120/220 that a lower voltage significantly increases voltage drop over the same conductor and amperage, so from 14kv down to 220v, does that make this unusable? Idk im chasing my own tail trying to understand,

I'm planning to run some power a couple hundred feet into the woods by my buddies house, then this wire falls into my lap, the optomotrist in me wants to see this work

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

Well, the hacker ethos says if it doesn’t work; make it work.
Two notes before is say anything else
1) I have no idea beyond practical experience in this aspect of the field
2) 600 feet? 6 double insulated 100ft CG 250 extension cables ($20-$40 each) and a line rectifier ($50) is MUCH safer.

Well, like you, I’d probably try. Doesn’t mean it’s safe or smart; but I’d try.
One place I KNOW you will have an issue that you missed, is resistance. Resistance increases heat. Aluminium has a very low Melting point.

You can probably reduce or eliminate drop off with a clean feed. An active UPS at the source creating a clean S wave. Plug the wall into the ups. And the ups into your cable.
Since your mad hatting this you may as well start with a 210 or 250 appliance source and a ~225 rack ups with 120 and 210 output. Running 210 over the cable and an Adequate transformer between the end of the cable and your laptop adaptor... should work in theory.

Legal warning: neither user here is advocating the attempt at actually doing the suggested action. This post, the one before it, and any following, is 100% hypothetical. No participant on this forum, nor any party related to it, are responsible for any actions taken by any other party.
I also encourage you to NOT sleep with a running chain saw, bathing with a microwave oven, or sticking your tongue in an electrical socket.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Aside from fire/melting, and obviously electrocution, there’s no real reason to not try. See above legal note. Theoretically it should work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:52 pm 

Thank you lost, I'm no good at writing disclaimers, and yeah, it seems like a terrible idea, I just cant come up with an actual reason why, other than it's an unintended application for the material in question

I've run the numbers through several voltage drop calculators and consulted the manufacturers spec sheet,

Eh.. let's don't and say we did

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Honestly, electrical issues are fairly low on my reasons not to do this.
Florida... one of the two remaining areas, deep-south-east and Alaska, of natural originality in flora and fauna.
Most animals have some level of reaction to electrical fields. Some, like primates (including us), are deterred by them. Others, like reptiles, are attracted somewhat. Cats are beyond drawn to them.

I don’t know what your actually dealing with shielding wise but:

Aside from attracting every domestic and feral cat around, ... puma? Jaguar?
And Bigfoot if you want to go all out.
Even a faraday cage leaks and can create it’s own field.

Bigfoot aside, Florida does have a big cat presence, though is believed to further south and far west. That worries me more than electric.
Six pack and hot dogs and ‘hey, nice kitty kitty, all for you! Please don’t eat me!’
Lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:03 am 

Aluminum 1/0 Is rated for 125 amps. If you buddy has a 100 amp service this cable will work fine. Does not matter the voltage. think of it this way

Voltage is pressure
Amperage is flow.

Or

Voltage is PSI
Amperage is GPM

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:36 am 

Just bring some steaks with you.

Can't believe I'm the first one to say this: Why not just sell the cable?

Maybe it's the capitalist in me; all experiments aside, this stuff is not cheap. Finding someone that needs 600' of it might be a challenge, but should be worth the payoff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Lmao.
I’m just trying to over play any issues of safety.
This isn’t my field.
Some of us, Archive, or should I call you books?, just have this internal need to do crazy things. Like cooking a burger with jumper cables and a car battery. Etc.

And since I have no clue if it would work or not (mwfhawk implies it will) but my job here is to make sure I don’t condone the stupidity we’re going to try anyway.

Personally I’d just sell it in reality. Being new it’s got to have a nice payday attached. If it were open, used: sounds like time for experimenting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:14 pm 

I've had it listed since I picked it up, but nobody but the roboscammers have replied, if somebody wants it lmk.. lol, anyone who would use this material probably wouldn't buy it from an unverified source anyway.

As for shielding it's 100% insulation with a concentric copper shield

Big cats, lol, we do have them but not in my neighborhood, the "woods" in question is just a few undeveloped acres at the back end of my friends father's industrial property, surrounded by residential, plenty of possums and racoons, but if I did install this cable out there it would be buried to avoid being run-over by our 4 wheelers

I hadn't planned on running and computers or other "sensitive" electronics out at the camp, but now I'm thinking I may want to, so maybe run 220 out there and have an active pure sine ups out there to provide safe 110 for a desktop flatscreen cellphone charging ect.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:25 pm 

Again voltage does not matter. Its the amps that matter. More amps means bigger conductor. You can run 480 volts 3 phase on 14 gauge wire as long as the amperage draw is under 15 amps.

Aluminum does not conduct as well as copper so to flow the same amperage you need a bigger conductor. ie more aluminum or bigger diameter wire.

Look up a book online called "Uglys" It lists everything you need to know about wiring and electricity.