Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 pm

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:22 pm 

NVME hard drives - How are they priced and the ones I have need to be cut in half or damaged so no one can ever read them (company policy).

Attachment:
File comment: NVME hard drive
IMG_0790.jpg
IMG_0790.jpg [ 567.67 KiB | Viewed 2397 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:49 pm 

They go as Hard Drive Boards undamaged. I'm not sure what they would go as if they were damaged. I'll ask Chris.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:05 pm 

Thanks. I just have to make sure no data can be read from them. I wasn't sure if cutting them in half or trimming the gold tip end would solve the read issue?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:03 pm 

I would think that cutting them in half or cutting the fingers off would make them unreadable to most people. Lostinlodos knows a lot about data recovery, so hopefully he can get to this post.

My guess is if you cut them in half without damaging any chips is would still be a Hard Drive Board as long as you kept all the pieces together. If you cut off the fingers, they would go as High Grade Telecom. But we'll see what Chris says.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:08 pm 

You could also hold it on either end of the board and twist it back and forth until you hear the board start to pop (but not so much that it will remove the components). That should weaken the electrical contacts holding the components and chips on, making the data unrecoverable.

It is also quick and fairly easy to do, while keeping them intact.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:47 pm 

AAK2 wrote:
You could also hold it on either end of the board and twist it back and forth until you hear the board start to pop (but not so much that it will remove the components). That should weaken the electrical contacts holding the components and chips on, making the data unrecoverable.

It is also quick and fairly easy to do, while keeping them intact.

That's a pretty good idea. It's probably the best thing to do, because if you did it that way, you could still get the Hard Drive Board grade for them.