Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:32 am

Post subject: Two Quick Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:08 pm 

Hello everyone! New to BoardSort and fairly new to ewaste scrapping too. I have 2 quick rookie questions:

1) Besides batteries, is there anything that is OK to take off boards or should I leave it all on for weight, highest grade etc...

2) I see “connector ends” listed as a buyable item....what exactly qualifies as a “connector end”? If it’s simply the plastic connectors where wires connect to a board, I have been throwing them in the trash this whole time....

Post subject: Re: Two Quick Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:11 pm 

1. Technically, everything on a board could be removed, sorted and sold separately, but just starting out that's probably not what you want to do.

There are certain things you definitely want to remove like batteries. Lostinlodos did a write-up on that here. (After writing this I've realized I should say, Do Not Remove anything you're not able to safely, as I'm not sure that's clearly stated on that thread)

I did a breakdown recently for another user about the value of the boards here. If you want to read through that I think it could help.

2. Connector ends are things like the actual plug that you connect to different ports on your computer. So HDMI, VGA, USB plugs. The reason Boardsort can buy these is because the pins are gold plated. The gold plated pins have a separate category (currently $5/lb) versus connector ends ($1/lb) due to the excess plastic and metal weight.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:33 am 

Also, ask your scrapyard about the plastic plugs on the board, mine lets me throw them in shred. I believe the little metal in there is brass.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:43 pm 

In the payout rates list if you click on the item you will get a picture of that particular item which should be of help.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Immascrapper wrote:
Also, ask your scrapyard about the plastic plugs on the board, mine lets me throw them in shred. I believe the little metal in there is brass.

Brass and copper are the most common recovery here. Tin, aluminium, and nickel also can be found.

If your yard sells everything to a recovery company they’ll have separate rates for different connectors. If not electrical waste and shred are the usual place to put them.

Yards are inconsistent. I have one that pays more for all wire classes with the connectors removed. And one that adds 3 cents for wire with the connectors on.
Most don’t care either way.