Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 pm

Post subject: Aluminum Cans
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:20 pm 

In regards to Aluminum Cans. The politics of selling them can be a pain in the "you know what". They are only scrap metal here down south, and sometimes the prices are good between 55 to 65 cents a pound. But..they have to be clean. That is they have to be free of dirt and debris or the buyer will give that dirty aluminum price, only they want tell you that. They take the price down in "tare weight". As for me I don't be trying to get over but I have added some aluminum foil in cans I have removed the pull tabs from and crushed. Well..I am not mashing them down anymore. I imagine "The Yards" say dirt, rock pennies, foil ,it is all the same if they can't inspect the cans. But they don't tell you that. Chris know how I roll. I have a little more than a few to sell ,So I will "un-crush" the ones I can and donate the rest to some Nuns.

Post subject: Re: Aluminum Cans
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Cans are a difficult and delicate issue.
I’ve discussed them here a few time.

There are 3 types of consumer reusable aluminium cans.
Clean “bullet” aluminium. This is used for non-acidic beverage cans. Such as juice and water. They’re thick, bulky, and expensive.

Plastic coated aluminium. Used for non-acidic high pressure cans. Usually milk, yogurt, caned foods like fish and nuts, …

Tin plated aluminium. Thick cans Used for oven warm beverages like tea, cider, juice; thin cans for acidic drinks like soda, citrus juice, most energy drinks.

There’s also a small group called heavy tinned. This cover some very thick cans with thick tin plate. The large size venom and jolt energy drinks come to mind. Spiked cola and spiked ginger drinks as well, like Royal, Jack Daniels coffee, etc.

Make sure of your yard’s rules on putting stuff in cans.
Some yards will allow you to put cap rings and safety seals in cans. Some won’t.

Each has slightly different value.

On non-pre-crushed
That’s easy; shake a can, listen for clink.
They crush them later or sell them uncrushed to a larger yard. Who eventually crushes them.

Some companies want them crushed for the best price. These are usually large yards that use magnetic sort balers or shredders. Many of these companies will run the can sort while you’re there.
Too much stuffed in the cans they drastically reduce your price; and likely ban you.
Keep in mind some yard bans you most will.
Higher pricing for crushed cans is simple. It’s one less step for them.

The FDA has very strict guidelines for recycling to food grade contamination is measured in scales below parts per trillion.

A single battery in 500tn of melt can cost the company millions. Not only do they loose the entire melt for new cans and pie tins (it’s no food grade, after all), the company must disable the equipment. Conduct extensive cleaning. Contact the EPA and FDA to schedule inspections. Your one battery just shut down a company for weeks, months maybe.

Stuffing cans? It’s not just selfish and rude; it’s technically illegal.

Knowing that above, you understand tight control. If a melt is ruined; the bans will work their way down to the smallest yards. The value difference between trucking 80tn of beverage cans vs 80tn of clean aluminium is rather large.

Things to ask: what should/can be in cans and what can’t.
Plastic labels on or off.
Pet food can ok or separate. Food cans?
Labels on or off.
Crushed or not crushed.

Something to note: never crush a can that has labels. Even if removed. There will always be a risk of residue.