Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:31 pm 

So I posted this on the Identification page but the pictures were that great and I know what they are, cellular uplink cards for security systems. So I thought I would try some new pictures, in the hopes of getting a better determination of what these might be classified in the Payout hierarchy.
Any thoughts on the grading three boards will be greatly appreciated. Sorry they are not all in the same orientation. I realized this after uploading them.

Board 1
Picture 1 and 2 are of the front and back of Board 1 unaltered as they appear when pulled from their case.
Pictures 3 and 4 show the same board after items it was suggested I pull have been removed I also decided to pull the SIM slot cover as it is just plastic.
Board 2
Picture 5 and 6 are of the front and back of Board 2 unaltered as they appear when pulled from their case.
Pictures 7, 8 and 9 show board 2. Front Picture I removed only two wire connection point, there is a shot of the small riser card on the front of the card and the back with the circuitry cover removed again I pull have been removed I also decided to pull the SIM slot cover off the front as it is just plastic.
Board 3
Picture 10 and 11 are of the front and back of Board 3 unaltered as they appear when pulled from their case.
Pictures 12 and 13 show the same board after I pull the smaller circuitry cover and once again I also decided to pull the SIM slot cover off.

I realize view picture especially from my phone would non result in a truly definitive determination but I would really appreciate getting some feed back on these cards grading with what I hope are much better pictures.
I literally have a tub over flowing with these cards. I do not really want to pull stuff off that is not going to really support adding value. I get the pulling the two big capacitors on the first card and and circuitry shielding on each of them. Would pulling the connection points be a must or can they stay? I guessing they should go.

Attachments:
File comment: Board 1 Front as recovered
20211026_110740.jpg
20211026_110740.jpg [ 63.3 KiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
File comment: Board 1 Rear as recovered
20211026_110748.jpg
20211026_110748.jpg [ 136.49 KiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
File comment: Board 1 Front Capacitors, Wire Connection points and SIM cover removed
BD1_A_1F.jpg
BD1_A_1F.jpg [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
File comment: Board 1 Rear Circuitry cover removed
BD1_A_2B.jpg
BD1_A_2B.jpg [ 1009 KiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
File comment: Board 2 Front as recovered
BD2_Or_1F.jpg
BD2_Or_1F.jpg [ 106.19 KiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
File comment: Board 2 Rear as recovered
BD2_Or_2B.jpg
BD2_Or_2B.jpg [ 83.69 KiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
File comment: Board 2 Front two small wire connection points removed SIM cover remover
BD2_A_1F.jpg
BD2_A_1F.jpg [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
File comment: Board 2 Small riser card on front
BD2_A_2R.jpg
BD2_A_2R.jpg [ 751.67 KiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
File comment: Board 2 Rear Circuitry cover removed
BD2_A_3B.jpg
BD2_A_3B.jpg [ 2.04 MiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
File comment: Board 3 Front SIM cover has been removed other than that as recovered
BD3_Front.jpg
BD3_Front.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
File comment: Board 3 Rear as recovered
BD3_OBack.jpg
BD3_OBack.jpg [ 104.64 KiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
File comment: Board 3 Rear Circuitry cover removed
BD3_Back.jpg
BD3_Back.jpg [ 125.55 KiB | Viewed 2147 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:06 pm 

Those little red switches with four toggles contain high quality gold plated balls, which will go as karat gold(not to boardsort, but for some gold buyers.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:08 am 
Site Admin

May… may contain gold balls. Most modern ones use gold plated crimped steel. And gold plated tin balls are the norm before that.

Some very much do have actual gold balls though. Usually 10kt-14kt. Soft enough to bend and flex against the switch. Hard enough to not cave or flatten.
Kt balls appear to disappear in general in the late 90s though.

I have however, also found clean solid silver balls as well.
Use care in opening. Bent spring style switches have a lot of pressure under them and you can have those little gold balls take off in flight on you… never to be found.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:35 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
May… may contain gold balls. Most modern ones use gold plated crimped steel. And gold plated tin balls are the norm before that.

Some very much do have actual gold balls though. Usually 10kt-14kt. Soft enough to bend and flex against the switch. Hard enough to not cave or flatten.
Kt balls appear to disappear in general in the late 90s though.

I have however, also found clean solid silver balls as well.
Use care in opening. Bent spring style switches have a lot of pressure under them and you can have those little gold balls take off in flight on you… never to be found.

I might just take one of these and check out what I actually find. Unfortunately the card with the red switch does not make up the bulk of my cards I have collected so far. I was really hoping to hear some thoughts on how these might get graded though the gold info is certainly very interesting

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

My instinct is high peripheral.
Without going through each photo in zoom mode.

I’ve discussed dip switches quite a bit here over the years though.
Even the worst end (clean copper or silver plated) is still a bit of a jewel. And Chris won’t downgrade you for snipping the top off a dip switch. And grabbing the contents.

I will warn about springs again though. Those little balls can get some serious flight! It’s rare they pop out alone though so just use caution when you stick a toothpick or small screwdriver in the hole to wiggle them out.

A 10th ounce of 10k is still a major score.

https://dendritics.com/metal-calc/?Refr ... Purity=417