Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:59 am

Post subject: Classification of boards
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:37 pm 

Are there any videos on how to classify boards (not motherboards). I have sent in some pics but I must have 30 different looking boards and don't want to be that much bother. If I could learn to do it myself, life would be so much easier.

Thank you,
Barre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:26 pm 

If you open the Payout Rates tab, then click on the description, a photo will appear giving you a generalized idea as to what goes where.

But, no, as far as I know, there are no dedicated videos with content as you describe due to the extremely wide variety of circuit boards not only from the past, but current, modern day boards as well.

This forum has numerous posts with photos and answers as to what class they are. YouTube does have a number of scrappers doing their thing, and many of them are tearing down various pieces of gear and describe the class a particular board may go into. eWaste Ben, sharkscrapper, mikethescrapper, thubprint, moosescrapper to name a few.

Bottom line, do some homework, and post up to this forum boards you have questions for. You can also email Chris at BS and when he’s got a moment, he’ll respond. It’s no bother, we’re all in this to learn, have some fun, do something good for our environment and our country, as well as maybe make a buck or two along the way!

Enjoy,

RFIII

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:37 pm 

Thank you for the reply. I guess I'm on the right track. I did print the payout rate info and the youtube people...I watch all of them. Unfortunately, they kind of show a board and say this is x or y grade without saying what observation brought them to that decision. I have sent some pics in of telecom and I will spend more time in that forum and maybe pick up the info.
Thank you again for the info,
Barre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:49 pm 

I think it's been said here before, but grading boards is more of an art than a science. I posted some boards this week that I thought would surely make high grade telecom, but I was told that they didn't have enough ICs on them. This message board is the only resource I've found online like it and I have learned a lot here. If there were others like it I'm sure they would grade boards differently. Just like when I go to one local yard with copper aluminum heat sinks and they call it "sheet al" the other yard I go to calls it dirty copper.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

You can also email me if you have lots of photos. My Gmail can handle up to 30mb of attachments

and my iCloud can handle considerably more.
I actually haven’t found the upper limit for Apple since I’ve gotten inventory videos of a few GBs.

But it’s best to post in what is it because then it’s public and helps out everyone!