Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:44 pm 

Now, hard drive boards are being graded as high grade (SATA) and low grade (IDE and SCSI). Prior to the split, SATA and M.2 (with fingers) were graded as HDD boards.

I've got a couple SATA SSDs that are similar to this:
Attachment:
W6nEC5b.jpeg
W6nEC5b.jpeg [ 491.09 KiB | Viewed 2504 times ]

Attachment:
tU92KVd.jpeg
tU92KVd.jpeg [ 415.25 KiB | Viewed 2504 times ]

Disregard the metal housing under it.

There are chips on both sides. My guess would be high grade HDD board.

But I've seen some SSDs with less population:
Attachment:
ssd.PNG
ssd.PNG [ 833.73 KiB | Viewed 2504 times ]

This is not my photo as I don't have any examples with me, I found it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C9ldcru8Ys
I'm not sure how the back side of the board is, but let's assume it has a controller chip, a caching chip, and 4 flash memory chips. What would a board like that be graded as?

And then, what about M.2 SSDs?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:34 am 

I was sad when I saw this split because I have a large box of mixed drive boards that I was going to send in, now I have to resort the box. I have noticed how SATA HD boards are getting smaller so the payback per drive is less. Now this price difference is making it hard for me to spend any time tearing down hard drives.

From the post about hard drives it says SATA is low grade, not SATA (IDE, SCSI, etc.) high grade.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21549

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:53 pm 

I will email Chris, as I am hoping that SSD boards can make it to high grade hard drive board.

Hard drive boards, if you disregard the hard drive board grades, are high peripheral or low telecom. SSDs are usually high telecom if you disregard the hard drive board grades. In my first example, it is certainly beyond high telecom if you disregard the hard drive board grades, as it has a lot of chips and on both sides.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21595&p=43279

Not quite but I understand the takeaway.
Cable connected are only one type of hard drive board. You also have PCI/PCIe and SASPGA.

The PCI and other gold finger card drives will go as low HDD if SSD or with the hard drive removed for mechanical disks.

I’d have to verify now but my guess is PGA, pin socket, hard drive boards would now go as low hard drive instead of high telco.

These aren’t common consumer drives in the mechanical space but they are millions upon millions in the cloud server marketplace. They act as extremely dependable WORM drives. Write once read many.

The one thing that hasn’t changed here is LTO tape drive boards. Which still have no consistent home. Lol.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:24 pm 

Yeah, you're right

Chris said:
Quote:
Yes, SSD and M2 are Low Grade HDB along with any SATA.

IDE, SCSI, RLL/MFM drives are High Grade HDB.