Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

Post subject: sorting habbits
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:38 pm 

before hdd split, i received apx 700 hdds. i presorted them based on board shape and size so i could make nice neat little stacks to weigh and maximize space as i put them in a shipping box. unfortunately i didnt finish processing them b4 the split. these pics are what happened today while removing boards.

i totally understand the reason for splitting the class and even agree with it because after looking at so many hdd boards, its obvious that there is a significant difference in quality between old ones and newer sata. this is just an unfortunate side effect. there is not a 100% difference between these 2 particular boards.

Attachments:
File comment: basically identical except for the connector
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 1993 times ]

Post subject: Re: sorting habbits
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:39 am 

There is no difference at all. Both those boards would be the same grade. It is true that most sata don't have much on them. But then again you can find 2 IDE boards that will be far apart in number of IC's on the board. There are even some laptop cd rom drive boards that I would grade as hard drive boards also because they are completely covered in IC's.

With that being said I'm not suggesting anyone to send boards to boardsort and demand a class that is not spelled out. It is just a observation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:51 pm 

The good thing is that SATA hard drive boards are paid out higher than most other type of high grade boards (CD-ROM or High Grade Telecom). Most of the SATA hard drive boards I see these days are not populated as much as your example so that brings the whole class average down some.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:09 pm 

If you have like more than a hundred hard drive boards that look like the one on the left, email Chris to see if he is willing to give a custom rate for such boards, as it looks certainly better than modern hard drive boards especially the gold tabbed flatpack which are rare on hard drives nowadays.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

The problem is quite clear with hard drive boards. For nearly a decade they shrunk to half or quarter size boards.

A new breed of hard drive boards post covid is starting to come out:
The dual chip board.

Going forward nearly every manufacturer will be using this.
Like all new tech there were flaws early on. And with rushed tech that must make it to the floor, there are hundreds of thousands of bad or not-good boards that made it to sales.

The up side is the three large HD manufacturers are quickly and reliably replacing the boards without data loss.

The down side is it changed the whole of the scrap market for these boards very quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

On SSD

Chris, like all scrap companies that focus on electronics, has been watching SSD boards and contemplating prices.

There’s just not enough in the discard system to accurately value out the various designs yet.

For now they go as SATA (& m2, SE, mS, etc) hard drive unless you have bulk enough to call or email Chris and ask directly. Bulk being hundreds.

If your into hoarding the price will eventually jump. Fairly well. Though given the vast majority (>70%) of SSDs FAR exceed their WxF ratings… that won’t be in the near future.