Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

Post subject: Why scrap these
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:32 pm 

This socket 7 motherboard is listed on eBay for 250$, scrap value is 6 or 7 $

Sound card on Ebay = 50$ thereabouts, scrap = maybe 2$

I had no idea.
Does Boardsort have rates for collectable items ?

Attachments:
old socket 7.jpg
old socket 7.jpg [ 41.14 KiB | Viewed 3008 times ]
socket7 close.jpg
socket7 close.jpg [ 40.78 KiB | Viewed 3008 times ]
sb3600.jpg
sb3600.jpg [ 24.49 KiB | Viewed 3008 times ]
old sb3600.jpg
old sb3600.jpg [ 62.57 KiB | Viewed 3008 times ]

Post subject: Re: Why scrap these
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:47 pm 

You would have to contact Chris to find out if they have any interest in the board for anything other than scrap.

I don't know if they have any interest in expanding their chip testing/buyback program to older chips but if you get a working system you might ask.

I'm not big on selling on eBay myself (I do occasionally) but if you've found similar items that are selling high enough to make it worth the time to deal with eBay then just click on Sell Similar, or however it's phrased, double check the info in the listing and make any changes you need to, take a couple good photos and submit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:07 pm 

Let me point out that "listed on ebay for $$$" does not mean sold on ebay. Always check the sold and completed listings to find out if anyone actually was interested in the stuff. I have often acquired New in the box stuff that has a high listing price on ebay, but not a single sale in the last year. But then not all buyers check ebay, so there are other venues, FB marketplace, Craigslist, etc,. plus private forums.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:09 am 

I would scrap that in a heartbeat!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

That’s way over priced without iron clad returns. With Super 7 and Vx7 being better options in general.

I don’t see a switch jumper for the IDE slots so their format is hard set. And there’s no two pin power. So this is Intel only.
My offering price personally would be $5-$10.

And old sound cards like that … there are a few that get real expensive; this isn’t one unfortunately. It’s about the voice fonts here. Your looking for Roland, Yamaha, *MeDia. Mitsubishi, zenith, font chips.

Bios chips have some value working, Starting around $5. board ROMs range from pennies to a few dozen dollars. And a working pentium can bring mid-double digits.
They’re less common because people generally prefer and kept around the AMD 586 and K chips.
The pentium ran doom at less than 15fps where the AM486 DX -5 and -8 could push to 20-25fps at 480RGB with a low end graphics adapter.

I can’t make out the two dip chips. But with the pentium, if working, that’s your money.

On the other hand throw the chips back in and you have a valuable retro starter kit. Then you’re in the $75-$150 range at the higher end .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:59 pm 

Good info - Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:00 pm 

This is in my wheelhouse, so let me offer up some thoughts.
I got into scrapping e-waste because it was a byproduct of seeking out older parts to build vintage rigs. I currently have a warehouse of things I hoard to test and I do currently build vintage rigs for folks, both locally and online (Ebay, marketplace, CL)
I don't automatically scrap socket 7, 5, 3 etc and the same goes for period cards, backplanes, cpu's because they are valuable hardware.
That said, they have to be tested at some point, either to pass on or to keep for yourself, and it's at that point if you discover bad traces, blown capactitors, bad batteries (almost always) bent pins, you name it, you then make the decision to scrap or fix the part, if the juice is worth the squeeze.
If you don't come across this stuff often, and you don't have a warehouse/people you pay, slap it onto a power supply and do a quick test, if its messed up then throw it into the scrap bin.
If you have the time and inclination, not to mention volume of old parts, you can make money (I do) with these parts all day long. The vast majority of folks have been coming from the various FB user groups for older computing stuff, I get requests for parts 15-20 times a day.
Lately, folks have been devouring up my 3.5" drives for some reason.
Even the big dog ITAD companies will tell you the money isn't in handling e-waste for scrap, it's the refurbishing/reselling aspect that is the vast majority of their revenues. I do the same thing, just specialized in vintage stuff, and can attest to that. Nothing against scrapping things down to send to Boardsort or the refinery, because it's cathartic for me, but to be real, the resale is where it's at.
If tested, someone will inevitably pay you $100 if put into a case and made working, even for a third gen pentium. I know I could. 386/486 computers are going for between $150-$200 and folks will pay you for shipping on top.
DM me if you have questions with regard to rebuilds and vintage parts, I'd be happy to help, and I'm sure Lost will see this and could chime in also.
My user name residing within Gmail.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thearchivebooks wrote:

Bingo. Not much more to say. Lol

Retro has been strong all along and went mainstream with covid.
I you don’t mind/can get away with hoarding sit on stuff and wait. Put together working kits and sell them.

The knowhow involved in fixing stuff isn’t the hurdle it once was.
You have the likes of OS2 Museum digging deep into retro and iFixIt showing you visually.
Couple that with Prime books and the Internet Archive and you have books and specs dating from the 40s through today.
For little or no cost!

The top two causes for problems are blown capacitors and damaged traces.
Easy fixes with a little reading, and a $10 junker soldering iron.

And here’s a little tip on pre-pentium board batteries.
Using all proper due care.

Remove old soldered 1.3v lithium canister battery.
Install $1.50 AA terminal.
Use AA rechargeable!

Here’s another minor tip.
Try linux and/or BSD (Unix).
With a VM or HV you can do a surprising number of stable OS on OS setups.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:26 pm 

For sure.
I've stocked up on boards that allow for a removeable CR2032 or equivalent, and I just drop those in, in lieu of the "barrel" type battery that was on everything back then. They are shot 90% of the time, and even if they havn't exploded, I replace them anyway, because they will. And since I'm removing coin batteries off of board going the the refinery, I have no shortage of replacements.
Hell, if I could get .25 each for coin batteries, I would be close to retired. Ones that are working anyway.
I grew up when parts were prohibitively expensive. And now that stuff comes in for free, including older parts, it's like I get to bask in the obsolete glow of my childhood.
Lost, any need for a 2.88MB DSED 3.5" floppy drive, new old stock? I have sealed disks as well. Still keeping an eye out for twiggy stuff.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

I’d be happy to take a performatted marked 2.88 off your hands. Or a box. Lol
One of the few discs I’m still missing.

The disks are a bit elusive since anyone who wanted one could make their own from DSDD and a modified drive controller.

I think the boost in 3.5s at the moment comes from a combination of playing with Chia coin and retro uptakes, and the vast supply chain delays.
Chia can destroy an enterpris SSD in under 2 months. But the old old magnetic film disks appear to be fairly stable.
Down side is you need 120 drives and custom firmware to store a single 1GB file, ECC, and hash point.
And it takes hundreds of gigs written to mint a coin.

Add to that the huge Amiga drive and uptick with the release of WorkBench 5rd.
Puppy has been revived. And Ultra64 has a new branch/fork. So we’ve got a floppy need again.