Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:42 am

Post subject: Silveride fuse?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:09 pm 

Recently acquired a fuse a bit bigger than the usual tiny glass ones encountered. Just wondering if it might be an "adult silveride". LOL End cap is punctured on one end, so guess it is scrap.

Attachments:
fuse.jpg
fuse.jpg [ 3.57 MiB | Viewed 1792 times ]

Post subject: Re: Silveride fuse?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

Lol. That’s just a bit um…
… larger than normal.

Seriously though at the industrial level like that I’ve seen all sorts of alloys. Palladium is more common than silver.
I’d suggest getting something like that tested. More than once if they say steel first.
Usually there one of those bizarre patented and TMd stainless alloys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Btw, I’d be just as interested in the filament.

The MDS for it shows a long delay burn out. Meaning it’s a it’s a pull apart filament (think incandescent bulb) as opposed to a rapid burn off filament (eg mercury or halogen bulbs).

Nice score!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:57 pm 

Definitely. Not having any luck with pallets of old computer towers lately, since everybody wants even the old optiplex with vista, etc, to snap in a harddrive and sell for 1 or 200. But have scored some nice buys by bidding minimal on Gaylords offered by my online auction house, as these come from another big industrial/manufacturing auction specializing in high end machinery, etc. They often pass to my auction the gaylords of "crap". think cleaning out the basement, and throwing whatever in the box...plastic pieces, conveyor belts, air filters, old outdated circuit breakers/interruptors/safety switchs, etc. A lot of the gaylords will have nothing showing but a mix of plastic garbage, as far as recyclers are concerned, but usually there are several hundred pounds of steel or other metal and parts, sometimes as much as 200 pounds of yellow brass, or a few bags of large(in excess of one inch square and an ounce in wt of silver replacement contacts) Most of this stuff is too old to move on ebay...occasionally I will sell a piece for $20 bucks or so after having it listed for over a year, but the scrapping market is always ready to buy. In one large circuit interruptor, I got over 60 pounds of copper, and in the same gaylord, 70 pounds of plumbing brass. And then, there are always a few unexpected circuit boards show up, inside large iron valves, and other places one would not expect to see a control board.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:12 pm 

I got some medium voltage fuses from the building I worked at about 3 years ago. They had silver fuses with tin rivets or buttons. I was able to collect enough of the tin to melt into a strip so that I could bend it and listen to it cry.