Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:58 am

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:11 pm 

dlmeg6969 wrote:
how much a pound for dell 13 and samsung chrome book motherboards thanks

Would you mind posting photos in the what is it forum?

Some motherboards from lower end laptops may not qualify as laptop motherboard, although most do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:34 pm 

I don't remember what kind of dryer it came out of, sorry :(

Maytag or Whirlpool possibly?

It was about 2 years ago that I got that dryer, and about a year and a half ago that I sold the board.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Gold cap chips in appliances dates from the mid-late 70s to early 80s in general.
Outside of computers and aerospace-defence, gold caps were fazed out for plastic housing and nickel, then plastic housing and aluminium/copper caps by the mid to late 80s.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:52 am 

That's interesting. Now I'm curious what's inside something like a 1970s microwave oven with a digital controller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:32 am 
Site Admin

dlmeg6969 wrote:
how much a pound for dell 13 and samsung chrome book motherboards thanks

Most with ARM or Atom processors fall into high peripheral.

With a laptop or LE processor they usually will be small socket motherboards.

Outside of the “chromebook” market some Linux ultralights have big risc chips like Power 7 or S64 and clear low or even high telco. Neither Dell nor Samsung make these though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:02 pm 

I made some additions to my post on page 1. Take a look and let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent: ropeman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

UNDERSTANDING SAS

SAS adaptors on boards typically come in two sizes.
The smaller SAS connector is a standard SATA connector.

The second type is “wide” SAS connector.
Attachment:
C8CF688B-5EE3-4282-8BD0-9F9CC81B4684.jpeg
C8CF688B-5EE3-4282-8BD0-9F9CC81B4684.jpeg [ 112.93 KiB | Viewed 7226 times ]

Credit Adamantios CCL

This is the equivalent of 4 SATA ports.
Hard drives with a wide port are nearly all dual drive or more SSD boards.
You remove the drive or drive cage, leaving a larger than modern board with all the standard ICs, plus the SAS controller.

Often you also find 2 or 4 uPCIe or M2 sockets the drives we plugged into.
Such “enterprise” SSD boards also have an onboard raid controller furthering the IC population.

Thus, the older class is correct for these

Two things to remember with these disks. The cost, and are worth, a fortune.
Dual SSD SAS drives start at around $800 for 512 GB redundant. 8TB disks and higher can be 10s of thousands.
So resale is the best choice if you run a (free software) drive scan and have less than 10-20% cell failure.

AND, you can NOT remove every byte of data without damaging the drive. [goes for all solid state storage]
So encrypt the drive first then reformat on another machine. This will protect Your/their data from prying eyes.

Yes, you can usually remove non-soldered drives from the sockets and have the actual drives plus a hard drive board! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:56 pm 

As with anything else, understanding different grades of boards comes from experience, trial and error and seeing the same material over and over, ad nauseum.
Not unlike scrapping various metals.
Keep at it, ask questions and become familiar with grades as you move forward, it's the only way to truly learn. Trial by fire.
I'm one of the early adopters of using Boardsort, and I definitely made some mistakes along the way, but luckily, the folks here on the forum and the folks at Boardsort themselves are extremely above-"board" (insert dad joke?) and will help you classify, but do your best to figure it out on your own.
Side note: I love the jack-holes that pop into a conversation mid way through and ask a question that is completely unrelated and then dissapear......
These are the folks that don't learn and have no desire to.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:03 pm 

I've been scrapping for nearly 40 years now and still have lots to learn. I've gotten to where I understand what is worthwhile to take to local scrap yards and I'm somewhat satisfied with my knowledge of computers. What I'm totally lost on is miscellanious electronics such as stereo equipment, dvd players, vcrs, monitors, televisions, printers etc. I'm a serious pack rat and really need to clear stuff out. Some of these items were picked or even bought years ago with the intention of selling the working device but have since become outdated.
I've got a pretty good batch of computer related items ready that I'm hoping to take to a drop off, so if that's still possible ( it's been about 5 years or more since my last run ) shipping isn't an issue and I'm thinking why not just take EVERYTHING.

Without posting a picture of every single item I have, there are a few general questions that may help me at least get started.

1.) Are there boards that are valued even lower than the low grade or auto boards, or even ones that are outright refused?

2.) As far as what type of equipement (stereo, printers etc.) that are a good source of valuable components, are there specific items I could expect better quality from or ones that are just a complete waste of time?

3.)When dealing with this type of equipement, does production year play much of a role? I understand older computers are generally more valuable, but how about all the others?

Thanks for any generalized help here. If I run across specific boards that i have questions on I can post pics later. Last night my surround sound system went south on me and I started digging through some of my junk for a replacement. After a few failures I hauled what felt like about 40 pound stereo amplifier ( even has phono listed as one of the inputs) up from my garage, wrestled it under the desk and hooked it all up to find it wouldn't even power on. After several hours of all this b.s. I decided it's just time for a good spring cleaning. Its all gotta go somewhwre so i might as well split it up between trash and cache and get at it while work is slow. If I can make a few cents on tearing stuff down as opposed to added weight/space in the trash I'm all for it. Thank you all in advance.