Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:37 pm

Post subject: Gold Pin Questions
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:48 pm 

Currently I have almost a complete tub of gold plated connector ends. I have not pulled any pins as of yet. My yard will let me mix these ends in with my low grade wire for $0.56/lb. I see that BoardSort pays $5/lb for the PINS and I have 2 questions:

1) when sending pins to BoardSort is it necessary to sort them in any way or is it okay to throw them all into one batch regardless of the TYPE of pin?

2) would the $0.56/lb for the ends at my yard be a better deal or are pins worth spending the time to pull?

Thanks for the help!

Post subject: Re: Gold Pin Questions
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

1) no

2) Depends.
On so many things.
USB connectors are almost surely worth more as a connector. Same with registered jacks (phone, network). SATA, SAS.

Older connectors get tricky in deciding. Floppy drive connectors are usually worth more as connectors. ATA SLT he same. Original IDE, depends on manufacturers. Big names like IBM and DEC used thick heavy plastic.
Leading edge and Computer Custom… more likely better as pins if you have a lot. And are easy to open. Just use a small mail cutter or HD cable cutter to cut the left and right sides off. They open like a clamshell and pins are easily removable.

SCSI internals better as connectors. External… if the connector is plastic pull the pins. If metal don’t.

Serial connectors are confusing. A DA/DB 15 and larger has a good chance of giving you thick heavy pins. Where DB9 is generally a tosser. Parallel connectors are almost always better as connectors.

Audio video connectors, you should always pull the pins or strip the jack jacket. And sell them to a reputable gold buyer. Even the lower end CU gold av jacks are 100 mil. Where Monster, Elite, and McIntosh (not apple) gold wire cables are worth a considerable amount. Connector and wire both. The wires are equivalent 8K gold as a gold and silver alloy. The connectors between 1/4 and 1/10 plated.

Most connectors, aren’t worth much trouble. But always check the manufacturer. Purists and elitists often pay obscene prices for the minimal advantage. We’re not talking Best Buy here either, with their $99.99 Monster Gold HDMI.
We’re talking about ADI and the like selling $1000 3mt Monster cables. $5000 Elite gold alloy coax. Will you find it in a scrap bin? Occasionally. Scrap ballers like Got Junk and Junk King and Hunks don’t know or care what they pull from a location. And sell thousand pound lots of mixed cable with no second thought.