Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:18 am 

I see that we have two values on hard drive boards sata and non sata, so my question is, What about the boards on cd/dvd players if we break them down are they both cd rom board price (non sata board pictured) or is there a reduction in the sata cd rom board price?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Optical drive boards have not changed enough to have different pricing…yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:48 pm 

Thank you for your response. My next question is Why did you put "yet" ? Just kidding we all know all too well that price changes happen all the time and it is just the nature of the beast and part of the process that we live with each day with everything. I think that any of us that are on this forum and do scrapping are better off than most people since I know we all have internet and computers at our disposal. So I say Thank you Lord for my blessings.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Psion has created an ASIC that will essentially make optical drive boards half the size of a credit card. Just large enough to support the connector of choice.

Add to that USB4 and Thunderbolt 4 both support RtBCL 2 protocol. A single motor controller chip and an Io chip, and the premise of a controller board will disappear from external disc drives relatively soon.

Tech just keeps getting smaller. I’m typing this on a computer the size of two credit cards that fits into my back pocket; and has 10 times the power of the first Cray array (cr 1992).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:41 pm 

Being me, I did a teardown of each type cd rom. The weight of sata control board one ounce and non sata control board one and one half ounce with each complete unit weighing one and one half pounds. So based on this I think that with the pricing payout on sata unit is same either way (scrapping steel local) not counting shipping of course with shipping whole units much more costly than shipping boards. I did not include the small board which is low grade. The non sata board gives more payout since it is heavier. My figures are sata 37 cents per unit to Boardsort or sata board to Boardsort and steel scrap at local yard and non sata board 41 cents and steel to local yard 10 cents and less shipping. It took 15 seconds to open and remove control board. I am working on a delivery probably in March or April with a half ton van and I think teardown will save me an area of 12"x16"x36" with at least a weight of 150 lbs depending on how many more cd roms I find in my sheds and garage and I need all the space and weight relief that I can get. My first trip I had 2 tons in this van and it was a little concerning in the mountains of Pa. and a little touchy on the brake pads and rotors. It is funny that when I tell people that I am a ewaste scrapper (which is saying I scrap everything ewaste and all metals) they do not have a clue of what it takes and all of the work and considerations needed to do it safely and still make a profit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:27 pm 

When you tear down the drives do you pull the motors.
I toss them in the bucket with the transformers and the yard pays out as copper bearing. With all the towers and laptops I get it pays to tear down the dvd/cd drives for the aluminium and motors.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

I get an actual separate motor rate for motors. Broken as steel or aluminium

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:30 am 

Actually yes I did pull the motors out of the cd roms since I was breaking them down that far. Also I scrapped the ribbons and the low grade boards. Since I am retired and I can strip one out in about two minutes or so on the ones that play nice and do not give me issues. The payout is just a little more than if they are not broken down but it cuts down on my load space and weight. The drives weigh about a pound and a half and I have about 150 or so. The steel and motors go local scrapyard and boards go Boardsort. Breaking down roms saves over two hundred pounds weight load and about the space that a big man would take up. I am driving up this spring (vacation from being retired) Room in van at a premium. I know this is long winded but the other concern is weight load on vehicle. My first load was 3600 lbs plus my weight and full tank of gas. The van was a half ton with two tons of weight, I had six ply tires (with max pressure) on van which did handle the weight but I was pushing my luck. I was tire/vehicle repair writer so I knew I should be good if I drove with sense. The reason I write this is for anyone that delivers scrap make sure that your vehicle and or trailer is equipped to handle the load you are transporting. Most factory tires on vans have two ply sidewalls even when rated 4 ply or extra load tires so you need to be careful not to overload the suspension or overload for the terrain that you are driving through such as the mountains thru Pa. Too much weight in vehicle on mountains can burn up brakes, warp rotors,heat up bearings and really screw up your trip.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Plus, with a little online training, you can swap out fan motors with disc motors. Make some really high speed fans

If sold a few modes 200mm fans on ebay for $10 l-$15 a pop and they cost $3.20 to ship.