Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:58 pm 

Hello! I've lurked here for awhile and I've watched some videos of Scrap shark.

I've recently acquired quite a few parts to scrap and I have a few questions.

1. Would it be beneficial instead of posting many pictures for identity to instead create a short 3 minute video and explain what I believe this board is or that board?
I'm a little confused on a few things.

2. Don't shoot me if this is a no no...but it seems that most of the motherboards I see in pictures do not have the main CPU chip. Is that common practice? I don't plan on pulling or pinching anything but it seems to me that many of those chips are worth quite a bit more than a lb of the boards themselves alone.

3. Colored boards. I believe I've read that it doesn't matter what is on the board, it is considered a colored board unless it's green. I'm asking if this is true because I have quit a few very nice graphics cards that have alot of gold fingers, chips, etc. on them.

4. Ram. I see some Ram is different and most of it is pretty straight forward( such as shielded), but I'm wondering about sticks that are shorter than others? I have some long ones like in the pic from the buy section and then identical ones just about half as short. Are they worth the same?

Forgive me if I missed something easy. All I want to do is learn and sell the correct way so I can maximize profit and be a great customer to board sort.
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:00 pm 

BTW, my video would be on YouTube.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:57 am 

Not sure a video would be a no-no, could always try and see how it goes. Maybe Lost will pop in and have a moderator's viewpoint to share.

2/3 Something about the way you've written this sounds like you haven't quite gotten this yet (which is understandable since you you said you're new to this) :D But maybe I'm the one missing something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2...Anywho, motherboards traditionally have a socketed chip which should be removed and usually are by the time they have their picture taken for uploading here. Any non-socketed chip should stay on the board or risk a downgrade. Newer boards can be Integrated Motherboards, have no socket, and have their own category and again shouldn't remove anything (aside from the battery and heatsinks).

3) Board color has two main ways of separating material.
a. Brown boards vs everything else (generally green but not always)
b. Colored MoBos and Green MoBos

If it's not a motherboard and it's not a brown (low grade) board color generally doesn't matter but can give clues to the grade of the board. In the case of Gold Finger Cards, color shouldn't be an issue though a high end card might have enough ICs to get a telco grade and being high end probably means it's not green for the people who like to show off their custom builds.

4) RAM comes in two main sizes; desktop and laptop. Laptop RAM is half the size of desktop. There are also numerous other shapes and sizes RAM can come in for use beyond your desktop or laptop. They all get bought at the same rate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:49 pm 

Thank you for your reply. It explained alot for me.

I'm going to try to make a video today and post the link here on the forum.

I believe I have most of this down...im just a bit confused now on what is considered telecom grade. I guess that's the highest grade of board?

I've figure most of the other grades out. Low is simple. It seems Mid or High and peripheral can sometimes be a judgement call guided by whats on the boards.

I still have to figure out some of the terminology...such as ICs.
A person doesn't know unless they ask or research.

Thanks Again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

1) I have a different approach to moderation than many are used to. I let many thing go unless someone (including me) makes a rule later. ;)
A video would be fine as long as you use the same method of actually marking stuff as a photo.
imagine for a moment us trying to grade a random unmarked pile of boards: at ::18 frame 7 in quadrant 2|C that is….

2) the majority of motherboards before the late twenty-teens have a socketed cpu you can remove. Pin CPUs before the early 2000s and for most AMD.
Pinless after the 2000s and for nearly all RISC CPUs.
It is generally a good idea to remove the socketed CPU, slot or socket RAM, and socketed ROM
Chips like the BIOS/EFI/UEFI, and if they’re there I/O and AV chips.

3) marked got this well.
If it’s brown on both sides it’s almost always low grade.
If it’s brown and green it’s probably midgrade or low peripheral
If it’s a coloured motherboard it goes as such
Other boards, colours don’t change grade

4) ram sticks are ram sticks. They are gold contacts or they aren’t. They have a shield or they don’t.
Terminators (with copper coils) and bridges (with capacitors and resistors) are sorted as high peripheral.

I could get fancy and point out BBM/BBR or TSPMM but the chances of literally anyone here as a consumer customer or business coming across them is near none.

One thing I point out to new users is something I used to fall for when I started here…
Don’t overthink it.
Scrapping out here in the real world is not the garbage ideas of ebay and talked about on face book or whatever. 99.9% of which is just garbage wrong advice.

The idea that this one board is worth something extra out of class or that board is too inferior doesn’t apply in real scrapping.
Figure boardsort gets thousands or hundreds of thousands of a board type every day and puts them in giant bins.
The company that processes bins get thousands or hundred of thousands of bins every day. One little bump or drop of minor level is basically a non-factor over all.
Meaning you have what you have.

Those that go looking for that little bit extra tend to make mistakes, and wind up saddened even if they don’t.
Looking to be perfect is a whole lot of work that ultimately isn’t necessary.

There’s exceptions to every rule, sure. But these threads are filled with posts of people asking is this more, or less… and when you round the numbers off the answer is always no.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:45 pm 

Good advice and a good way to think about it.

Yeah if I do a video...I'd just keep it to 10 boards or less. Easy that way. 2 or 3 minutes at most.

Thank you for your advice!